Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Pinsit OP t1_jbk89ay wrote

I work full time and can pay my rent in Mass so I can pay rent in Rhode Island. Not buying a house. I have the renting part figured out, I’m asking about healthcare.

tbsynaptic t1_jbkz2o2 wrote

If you work so hard why don’t you get health insurance from your employer instead of having other people who work pay for it for you?

−7

hobomom t1_jbl2u7q wrote

You do realize that not all jobs offer health insurance to their employees? And that healthcare is a human right. We have the most inhumane system in the developed world here.

Pinsit OP t1_jblcmec wrote

Because I want your money specifically :)

tbsynaptic t1_jblqq6l wrote

Should I go get a second job to pay for your and all your friends too? I mean. It would just be cruel to ask able bodied adults to support themselves.

−1

AhChingados t1_jbpwc1u wrote

The comments above explain the situation pretty well. Some people can’t afford the $700 for insurance even when earning enough to cover food and rent. And even then, minimum wage is shit, if it had kept with production it would almost $21 per hour but no, we just need to keep people earning the bare minimum while benefiting off their work.

The cheapest labor is slavery, companies just don’t do it because it is against the law. So they will always pay the minimum possible and then expect that our social services will pick up the slack. Owners pay less percentage tax on their earnings than we do, and we bail them out for their shenanigans in the market. And then buy politicians to make what illegal now, legal soon. Just look at what’s happening with child labor laws. You are angry at the wrong ppl. dude

ynwp t1_jbkbd22 wrote

You might want to check income levels for Medicaid. No idea how people at that income level can even afford rent.

Edit: for example, min wage in ri is $13. Full time is 27k per year. That’s way over the income limit.

−10

unleggeddog t1_jbm6ko3 wrote

Not anymore, it changed last year. We make decent money and were forced onto Medicaid because we wouldn't get an insurance discount through the Marketplace at all if we didn't accept Medicaid. So it was either $0 a month for Medicaid or $700+ a month for BCBS (which we had before).