Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

UnderwaterInRI t1_jbq72fr wrote

I'm absolutely fine with more housing, I just didn't want some wavy Miami skyscraper standing at odds with the entire skyline. It also wasn't exactly affordable housing they were trying to build. The superman building is a better hope there. Heck give it a couple years and the providence place mall is a better hope there. Let's make what we have work for us.

realbadaccountant t1_jbqdq2r wrote

Superman building has huge subsidies. This was all private with modest tax break. This is a tragedy.

fishythepete t1_jbqf5st wrote

>I'm absolutely fine with more housing, I just didn't want some wavy Miami skyscraper standing at odds with the entire skyline. It also wasn't exactly affordable housing they were trying to build. The superman building is a better hope there. Heck give it a couple years and the providence place mall is a better hope there. Let's make what we have work for us.

This response perfectly encapsulates the thinking holding Providence and RI in general back.

Sure, there’s a housing crisis pricing people out of the area, but is this solution I don’t need to spend a dime on pretty enough?!

I’m totally ignorant about the economics of this and another unrelated project but I have strong feelings about it and those feelings matter. Also, turning disused malls into residential space is an awesome idea I just had that completely ignores the fact that there are malls that have been dead for decades and if it was even remotely viable it would… exist.