Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Loveroffinerthings OP t1_jd0lz4n wrote

I know New England has lots of old money, but it seems like there is a lot of people living in nice huge houses with water views. Maybe my brain doesn’t want to accept that the older generation hoarded so much wealth, but maybe it’s true.

Agent_Giraffe t1_jd0suy4 wrote

People probably own really nice houses and rent them out or maybe not even use them for most of the year.

barsoapguy t1_jd5l8bq wrote

It’s RI , ocean views are everywhere. It’s only what, the past decade that the state has begun to gentrify. Before that it was dying mills and people fleeing for better job opportunities.

If you had gotten here after the Great Recession it’s entirely possible a lower middle class person could have bought a home with ocean views.

Download Zilliow and look at some of the old sales prices.

Loveroffinerthings OP t1_jdrp14v wrote

I was looking at a house that’s 2 away from me that just went up for sale. In 2017 it was $217,000, now they are asking $655,000, which in this market is insane, especially for my neighborhood. It’s really insane what people think housing is worth in 5-6 years.

barsoapguy t1_jdrpqpc wrote

HAHAHAHA!!! That’s Aquidic Island prices… that house had better be 12 minutes away from the water.

Loveroffinerthings OP t1_jdrv6kb wrote

I mean, it’s near a river, but a 3/2 that’s 1088sq ft. I think their real estate agent over promised.

barsoapguy t1_jdrvtkz wrote

Maybe they’re just living in it and are those types who will move if the price is right…