Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kayakyakr t1_itnlrml wrote

Love this idea.

It's unfortunate that the Providence area doesn't have a board game cafe, a place that serves food, drinks, and sells games. I know there's one store in Pawtucket, but that's about it.

I had some friends move out to Berkeley and found their way into a board gaming group. A brewery hosted it on Tuesdays: they were happy to be taken over by the nerds on a night they would otherwise not see many folks. Maybe that's something to explore moving forward?

cajundharma t1_itnxoz7 wrote

We had a great one in the Arcade called Good Game Grill. It had tons of potential, but it opened just a couple of months before the pandemic hit, and did not survive the great shutdown unfortunately.

kayakyakr t1_ito8pi8 wrote

Ugh. That happened to my friend who opened one in Amherst mass that did great for a year before the pandemic hurt her business and a greedy landlord finished it off.

takeout-queen t1_itnt0zi wrote

Not that anyone asked but Albany has two, one downtown and then one downtown a town over in case anyones nearby or looking for one!

kayakyakr t1_ito8ea3 wrote

Albany.. NY? Pretty cool

Austin had 3 places in a 10 minute radius, one store with a lot of tables, one bar, and one combination bar and store

sc00p401 t1_itpqd5m wrote

It's a very frustrating time for the gaming scene here. We used to have soooo many excellent shops from Die Hard to Mana Core to Rah-Cocos that had ample free gaming space. Now the only places left in the city like that is one shop that's extremely corporate and overpriced and charges to just sit & play, and the handful of others that just doesn't have enough space.

katiem90 OP t1_itnxu0f wrote

This is a great idea, thank you for sharing!