Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

brick1972 t1_itv0x43 wrote

If we had a local train that ran in the gaps between the MBTA trains so that people could use it for getting to Providence or the airport it might have been worth it. As an MBTA only thing it always felt like a giant failure waiting to happen. I blame the MBTA as well.

Like a RI local train that went from westerly to Pawtucket (or even just Providence due to the line restrictions at Pawtucket) could get these stations more use. But it's not a guarantee.

laterbacon t1_itv4mtw wrote

My dream is to have a frequent EMU service from Pawtucket to Westerly, stopping in Providence, Olneyville, Auburn (Cranston), TF Green, Apponaug, East Greenwich, Wickford, and Kingston. If this state gave a shit about anyone not in a car, it might be more than a dream but I don't have a lot of hope especially when the R-Line was supposed to be a pilot program to roll out similar service on other lines. Still waiting for that, and for the features that would make the existing R-Line actual rapid transit instead of a dressed up bus with poorly maintained stops.

If RIPTA actually tried and wasn't headed by a republican former suburban mayor it might actually improve, but we need a huge shakeup in transit leadership.

brick1972 t1_itv76sc wrote

The fact that RIPTA gets stuck in the same traffic as cars really limits its attractiveness.

I live and work on the 1 (essentially) so I can take the bus with no transfer. Even ignoring the walking time to the stops and assuming I time it perfectly the bus takes 1.5-2 times as long as just driving (largely because driving I can avoid downtown where of course the 1 is obligated to go through college hill and downtown). Since there is some walking time and because of the bus being late that is more like 3 times as long in practice.

Which is to say I'm with you on having real BRT (not that the 1 would be a good candidate necessarily just saying)

laterbacon t1_itv8ffi wrote

I got rid of my car a while back and I mostly ride my bike everywhere, but I rely on the R line quite a bit to get me down into Providence. I like not having to worry about parking or paying attention to traffic but they could vastly improve the service without a whole lot of effort. The thing about transit is that if it's fast and reliable and affordable people will actually use it. It's somewhat encouraging the ridership on the R line has increased a lot since it's been free. I think free buses are the key to a good transit system since transit funding is largely tied to ridership. It's a virtuous cycle of making important bus lines free, increasing ridership, and getting more funding to improve service. It all requires buy in from the community though and too many people see transit as something that only "undesirables" use.

ToadScoper OP t1_itv83tm wrote

It makes way too much sense for RI to create its own passenger rail authority, especially if it were a service similar to the Lake Shore Limited or the MN New Haven Lines in Connecticut. Unfortunately, RI DOT only prioritizes highway infrastructure and buses, it refuses to do anything else. This extends to the fact that it scrapped a fully funded Providence LRT plan in 2015 since they only wanted to do buses (granted the LRT plan was quite flawed, but the project should not have been canceled). Sooner or later RI will realize it cannot lean on the MBTA for regional services, however, it will take a LOT of political pressure for RI to even consider rail.

Intrepid_Priority154 t1_itv1ls2 wrote

Why blame the MBTA? RI could have their own train that runs more frequently from wickford to s Attleboro where it meets an MBTA train and the riders could switch.

brick1972 t1_itv208e wrote

The MBTA is famous for prioritizing big capital projects over system maintenance and improvements, and therefore would not surprise me if they participated in unrealistic ridership projections.