Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

degggendorf t1_iv3uhq0 wrote

>This is not fewer homes, it’s mixing homes and commercial

How is that not reducing the number of housing units? Whatever space is commercial could be residential instead.

> I’m also referring to a maximized return in terms of land used, not investor returns

Okay then swap in "promoting commercial business" to my previous comment and the point remains.

ToadScoper t1_iv3v8yk wrote

https://youtu.be/bnKIVX968PQ this video summarizes mixed use zoning in pretty well if it helps

degggendorf t1_iv3wvwb wrote

I'm pretty sure I understand the idea, I'm just not following how it's not a zero-sum game, nor how it makes sense in this little plot in question.

Here, there's nowhere close to enough space to make anything remotely self-sustaining, and there are tons of businesses nearby already. Like, I'm pretty sure Aldi corporate isn't going to go for building another Aldi 1 mile away from an existing one, on an out-of-the-way peninsula behind a neighborhood. So what's it going to be, like a food desert style convenience store? Overpriced fancy market?

Or can we maybe just let it be residential so more people can have more affordable housing?