Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

FAYCSB t1_iwmexl6 wrote

If you’re not familiar with the area, exit numbers that indicate miles give you a lot more information than just an ordinal.

GotenRocko t1_iwmk95t wrote

Also makes it easier to add a new exit in the future, dont have to change any other exit numbers.

degggendorf t1_iwmmynv wrote

With the one exception being if you add an exit within the same mile as another, then you need to add letters.

But that's also what they did before, like exits 6 and 6a (now 18 and 19).

HairyEyeballz t1_iwmjm22 wrote

I-95 through Connecticut always throws me off. They seem to follow the mile marker paradigm, right up until they don't.

iandavid t1_iwoeuze wrote

The maddening thing about I-95 in Connecticut is that there are actually 93 exits along the 111 miles between Rhode Island and New York. So they seem like milepost exits, but there’s really just that many of them.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_iwmnc1f wrote

If you're not familiar with the area, you're already using a GPS.

degggendorf t1_iwn5c7c wrote

A GPS still doesn't tell you how many miles you've been in a state nor how many miles until the next exit.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_iwna7v3 wrote

>A GPS still doesn't tell you how many miles you've been in a state nor how many miles until the next exit.

True. The 2nd part is helpful. Unless you've got a special song or celebration for being 69 miles into a state, I don't see why anyone would need to know the first part.

degggendorf t1_iwnf7ra wrote

Do you not like understanding your progress in a trip? Counting down miles until your next state line seems like a pretty normal thing to do, doesn't it? Is it just me?

Proof-Variation7005 t1_iwnfnzi wrote

I prefer the "this machine says I'm 45 minutes away, I'm shooting for 42 minutes" beat the clock challenge.

degggendorf t1_iwns9p5 wrote

Do you program in state lines as destinations?

KennyWuKanYuen t1_iwnsxg9 wrote

So I’m not alone. Measuring distance with distance feels weird. Measuring distance with time feels more natural.

Was in D.C. with friends one time and I said that shop’s about 5-10 minutes away. They were like how far is that? I told 5-10 minutes and they were so confused. I got confused when he told me the distance with mileage and I was like that gives me no context of how far it is.

−1