Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pvdella t1_iyj65xc wrote

Welcome to Rhode island! There's a good community here, don't let the cold exterior fool you, people can be kind and helpful :) Having English is a good start, especially when looking for work and resources. Some things I would check out:

Dorcas International- an amazing agency that helps with resettlement, employment, immigration, etc

Local library branch- all you need is an address and it seems your family member has one. From there you can access workshops, computers, printing, etc all for free. And the librarians I've met are wonderful and can connect you to other things in the communities.

I don't know where you are coming from, but there are many churches, community groups, and more where you can get connected to other folks who share your background. Chances are there are people who have gone through the same steps already!

Feel free to dm me if you have more questions too

valeradio OP t1_iyj788l wrote

Thank you!

I've already been to Dorcas. Unfortunately we're not eligible for anything. No Medicaid, or food stamps. I am glad we tried but it only means we have to work harder which is a good thing.

I am sitting in the library right now! Sweet people. Warm place.

We have already been to a church last Sunday. We met the sweetest people ever and got some real help and emotional support!!!

It seems like we're doing everything right so far!

Thank you!

SeaStarFlame t1_iyki59h wrote

Have you tried applying for benefits thru here or speaking with some type of advocate for your situation? If you're in Providence, I believe they are more lenient about getting benefits to immigrants.

If you're in need of food, there are food banks in every town. You'll need proof of address so try to get an official piece of mail to an address in the city- phone bill, something from the state, anything but junk mail.

Churches also have food banks. You can contact any location of Saint Vincent de Paul and they'll usually give you a box of non-perishable foods.

During this cold season, there's also locations that give out winter coats and other things. Try finding more info on that.

Housing in very expensive in RI right now, like most places. Do what you can to make it through the winter with a roof over your head. There are shelters but they're not all pleasant and mostly just have beds for men during the winter. There are very few beds in the whole state for women.