Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BOKEH_BALLS t1_iywjc8z wrote

Fearless Fish Market

Double_Farmer_2662 t1_iyxdsh9 wrote

Literally could not recommend them enough. Their website is soooo helpful, had what fish they have available that day, which ones are sushi grade, and what sushi grade even means. Staff is unbelievably knowledgeable and helpful. Only place we buy fish at. Sushi night at home we spend $20-25 on fish, and we eat till we’re stuffed.

They have 2 locations in Providence, West end and Hope Street. I find the West End location is easier to get too

Shoddy-Sleep-8832 t1_iyxcuhd wrote

Interestingly, the terms "sashimi-grade" and "sushi-grade" mean absolutely nothing, other than an unregulated marketing term that a particular vendor is assigning to a particular product. Regardless, tuna and farm raised salmon are generally safe to consume raw provided they are of good quality. Other fishes should be frozen to below -31 degrees fereinheit before consuming raw which is not practical for most home freezers.

Capecole t1_iyxdqwj wrote

This is the most helpful comment. Fish that is safe for sushi has just been deep frozen for a set number of days. It has nothing to do with the quality of the meat.

wormholeweapons t1_iywz849 wrote

Dave’s market sometimes does. Many of the local fish mongers will.

SeaworthinessLeft88 t1_iywp04d wrote

Market Basket at the sushi counter sells at least sashimi for a reasonable price. They might have chunks of sushi grade fish too, but I can’t remember. It’s my go-to when I’m making sushi at home.

Whole Foods I think has it too.

Mediocre-Donkey-6281 OP t1_iywszkj wrote

I called whole foods yesterday, they said they stopped carrying sushi grade fish (outside of the sushi counter) a couple years ago.

dotJSX t1_j0qpoxb wrote

Well there goes my comment. I got sushi grade tuna from Whole Foods before, but this was over a decade ago.

derpbeluga t1_iywtt3q wrote

Dockside seafood on Warwick Ave has sushi grade salmon.

j0nny5iv3 t1_iyx14w7 wrote

Captain’s Catch in North Providence

LoktheNomad t1_iyx0qqi wrote

Good Fortune in Providence.

Allopathological t1_iyylrax wrote

They have good fish but not sure I would eat it raw

LoktheNomad t1_iyyrx45 wrote

They have a case of sushi grade fish that is packaged separately from their other fish.

Aeronaute t1_iyydprx wrote

Narragansett Bay Lobsters, in Galilee. (Despite the name, they have high quality fresh fish, too.) It's where my brother, who makes sushi frequently, gets all his fish.

noungning t1_iyz0adx wrote

Aldi sells tuna steaks that are sushi grade in their freezer. I buy it to make my own poke bowls frequently and it's pretty good.

crowfen t1_iz2hy05 wrote

So you can definitely get sushi grade tuna at dave's, but the salmon may be hit or miss depending on how busy their seafood department is and how quickly they've run through it. the place to check is the freezer section rather than the fresh case. Sushi grade means frozen to a certain negative temperature for a certain amount of time, and anything sushi grade in the fresh case is going to be thawed out versions of the frozen, sealed, safe sushi grade stuff.