Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Beautiful-Page3135 t1_izwpxkj wrote

When I was learning to drive my dad took me to the Silver City Galleria in the loaner car he got through work (traveling sales). It was an 87 Town Car, a rear wheel drive behemoth that weighed about as much as the core of the earth and was so large one of the factory options was a roof rack that could double as a helicopter landing pad. The V8 in this thing could have powered a small armored vehicle.

We went to the back lot by the theater, in that area with no light posts, and he told me to gun it. Mind you, there's a foot of snow on the ground.

When I hit 20mph he tells me to cut the wheel left and slam the brakes. Puts me into the first uncontrolled spin of my life. I've been driving for about 3 weeks at this point, and I'm now actively ruining my pants. He calmly talked me through recovering, and had me do it over and over for about an hour.

I got so good at it by the end that I was sliding into parking spaces almost within the lines. Best driving lesson I ever got, also the most terrifying class I've ever had and that includes the stuff we learned in the military. Thought for sure I was going to wreck a company car. Also learned that a massive V8 and RWD is not a great option when driving in the winter.

Now that I'm older and nostalgic, I'll find a snowy Cul de sac in an industrial park and do donuts in my truck every once in a while. Makes me feel like a kid again for a few seconds, before I remember I've gotta get home and clear the snow from the roofline.