Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] OP t1_j0q6yq8 wrote

FNicole86 t1_j0q8nxt wrote

The school is required by law to provide children with services regardless of where they came from in terms of previous placement. The early intervention my son was part of was not part of Warwick's his was private I chose to do it and outpatient home-based.

I think public school as a whole most places are what you were describing as the wait and watch and fall behind before services are offered or suggested. I would suggest having if you don't already some type of home based Services as well as independent testing so you can go to the school with the diagnosis and the potential help of a therapist and say this is what my child needs can you meet these needs? If not what placement within the District can support their needs and then go from there out of District. Another thing to note is the differences between an IEP and a 504 plan. And how that would suit your child's needs. I know with my child's IEP I wanted Transportation included because if he went outside of District I would have to transport him and I couldn't. At one point he was going to a school in Wakefield RI, and we lived in Warwick.

[deleted] OP t1_j0qd6h6 wrote

[deleted]

FNicole86 t1_j0qe8h5 wrote

I'm sorry that you are having such difficulties with your child's School and education. A parent's rights and children's rights should always be handed out at these meetings at least I always got them. On more than one occasion I would have an off the record chat with one of the teachers or teacher aids from his class throughout the years. There have been occasions where I have had to have a consultation with a lawyer and the lawyer types up and sends off a letter saying that they are representing the parent and student it's enough to show that you mean business and get things done at least in my experience. The bottom line is every school and every District as a whole gets x amount of federal funds per child with an IEP or 504 if you threaten to take away that funding nine times out of 10 things will be done the way they should. And I know that that shouldn't be the case but working with in reality that may have to be the case.