Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

canibringmydog t1_j0widf4 wrote

You’re not trying to learn new things. You’re trying to be combative and difficult. Tis the season.

−1

degggendorf t1_j0wipp6 wrote

...do you have me confused for someone else? My only participation here was to ask about the religious vs. ethnic symbolism of a menorah when you jumped down my throat.

> You’re trying to be combative and difficult.

Ironic, coming from the person deriding me for asking a question.

MrSneaki t1_j0yxj3q wrote

I was wondering right there with you, in what I was able to identify as a clearly honest interest in learning.

I guess I know that being consistently targeted will jade a person, so I understand why they might not have seen the same good-faith interest in your comment that I did, at least not right away... but their quick and confident condemnation of your participation, even after you expressed that you weren't being combative, still left a nasty taste in my mouth.

degggendorf t1_j0yxwlv wrote

Yeah I am still really baffled by that reaction.

MrSneaki t1_j0yyi56 wrote

In any case, don't take it personally. It definitely wasn't because of anything you yourself have done or said.

Rogue-Island-Pirate OP t1_j0zulj7 wrote

"Interestingly, even in the United States, where religious freedom is touted as one of the proudest achievements, the concept of she’at ha-d’khak [a time of danger] has been tested, though not in the traditional manner of taking Hanukkah displays inside during times of danger. One modern example: In Billings, Montana, in 1993, a small boy placed a Hanukkah decoration in his bedroom window, only to have it destroyed when a rock shattered the window. In reaction to what was likely vandalism by members of an Aryan group, a campaign was started to have both Jews and non-Jews (the clear majority in Billings) decorate their windows with a hanukkiyah [Hanukkah lamp, also known as a menorah] or with a picture of one. Ten thousand people joined in this campaign, and while several windows were still smashed, this town became quite an inspiration to many who appreciated its courage in the face of religious hatred and intolerance."

From: https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/public-displays-of-hanukkiyot/

MrSneaki t1_j103poh wrote

Really cool story!!

That said, I'm not sure what it has to do with my and the other user's earnestly wondering about whether the menorah is either an ethnic or religious Jewish symbol (or both)

Rogue-Island-Pirate OP t1_j10ii1c wrote

I hope the source I shared with you provides a good start to answering your question.

MrSneaki t1_j10n55y wrote

Thanks - I didn't initially follow the link, and only read the blurb you quoted in the comment. I think I now understand a little better the history of the practice, at least!

degggendorf t1_j15exzb wrote

I just saw your comment...that is exactly what I was hoping to learn about, especially here:

> The court ruled against the crèche but allowed the displaying of a hanukkiyah along with a Christmas tree, since the court perceived these to be secular symbols of religious holidays and therefore not an endorsement of any particular religious belief.

I didn't realize that the hanukkiyah was just as secularized as a christmas tree; thank you!