Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Showerthoughts_Mod t1_j9jc9sw wrote

This is a friendly reminder to read our rules.

Remember, /r/Showerthoughts is for showerthoughts, not "thoughts had in the shower!"

(For an explanation of what a "showerthought" is, please read this page.)

Rule-breaking posts may result in bans.

3_Words t1_j9jcpxy wrote

I honestly can't tell if this is a cutting critique against negative gender norms or just some sexist drivel.

welcome to 2023 I guess.

Dinklemeier t1_j9kjvlv wrote

Well for the unwashed poors out there, you can always.. you know....eat less and exercise..

fStap t1_j9ko7b8 wrote

Most people prefer natural bodies over tons of makeup and plastic surgery

romniner t1_j9l2fub wrote

From the meriam-webster dictionary, under "female" usage as a noun.

In the 14th century, female appeared in English with such spellings as femel, femelle, and female. The word comes from the Latin femella, meaning “young woman, girl,” which in turn is based on femina, meaning “woman.” In English, the similarity in form and sound between the words female and male led people to use only the female spelling. This closeness also led to the belief that female comes from or is somehow related to male. However, apart from the influence of male on the modern spelling of female, there is no link between the origins of the two words.

−1

Booji-Boy t1_j9l3nj5 wrote

Look at this fuckin' Ferenghi over here.

​

feeeeeemales...

Amekaze t1_j9l4hbu wrote

This might be right but it feels wrong. Some thoughts should stay thoughts.

fockewulf190 t1_j9m5r6e wrote

Natural bodies appeal to humans that acknowledge and accept that perfection is an illusion used to manipulate.

LordAvan t1_j9mo2f7 wrote

I don't see how this response is relevant. Their point was that the word "female" in the OP is used in an irregular, potentially chauvinistic, way. The etymology of the word is irrelevant to how it was used in this case.

romniner t1_j9msu7v wrote

I directly responded to EPJ327 having asserted that using female as a noun was maybe? derogatory rather than it being the literal root and origin of the word.

As a noun it simply means woman or girl.

−1

LordAvan t1_j9muw52 wrote

Yes, that is it's literal meaning, but the point is that it is uncommon to use female as a noun in reference to humans except when speaking clinically or when chauvinists use it as dehumanizing language. The word "women" is the much preferred option by most women, so the use of "females" in this context suggests that OP may have been speaking derogatorily.