Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

StarSpangledGator t1_ja4jeg3 wrote

Well let’s see, if we consider a generation in terms of family, like my generation, my parents, grandparents etc, that means we have typically 3 generations per century. My sister and I born in the 1990s, my parents 60s & 70s, grandparents 40s, great grandparents 20s, etc. That there is 3 generations already remembered, and assuming you take interest in your family history, then it goes further back and from there branches off to people outside one’s family.

batsofburden OP t1_ja4lhil wrote

I was thinking parents are one generation back, grandparents are two generations back, then beyond that most people know very little. If you interpret it differently, then just read my title as 4 generations back instead of 3.

StarSpangledGator t1_ja4lweu wrote

Gotcha, my first thought reading was you were referring to generation like one century vs another. Thanks for clarifying.

barfsfw t1_ja8vneq wrote

My cousins from both sides of my family and my dad and I have been working on a deep ancestry.com family tree. You can upload pics, news articles, obituaries, bios etc. With some time and teamwork, it's been a great experience learning about the people that you only ever met a few times at weddings and funerals. They all had a story and it's great to put that all together.

batsofburden OP t1_ja8zlfw wrote

That sounds really fun. I guess I feel a bit too private to do something like that online, but it might be a cool project for offline.

barfsfw t1_ja95zib wrote

You have a lot of control over who can see your stuff.

DisturbedRanga t1_ja5qyhb wrote

The only thing I know of my great grandparents are their names and what country they were born in, that's as far as my knowledge of them goes.

Sudden_Fix_1144 t1_ja7a68o wrote

That goes for most people these days. For most of us they are names on a tree. If your parents didn't talk about them.... then all that was known about who they really were is lost forever...