Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Showerthoughts_Mod t1_jecsaf8 wrote

This is a friendly reminder to read our rules.

Remember, /r/Showerthoughts is for showerthoughts, not "thoughts had in the shower!"

(For an explanation of what a "showerthought" is, please read this page.)

Rule-breaking posts may result in bans.

FlyingWithAliens t1_jectytf wrote

Homeless shelters are shelters financially supported by either non profits, the local government or donations. Houses are fiscally covered by the individual residing inside of them.

I can only imagine that you must be a child who has the mortgage paid by your parents to have that world view

−31

FlyingWithAliens t1_jecvy5u wrote

The people on the deed, mortgage covered by the bank or not, are still fiscally responsible. They just pay to the bank. Vs people staying at a homeless shelter are not fiscally responsible at all.

You understand enough to know banks give out mortgages, but you must see the difference here, yes?

−7

Sooo_Dark t1_jed6ht0 wrote

Yeah, if they break in while you're gone and change the locks, apparently...

leenk13 t1_jed81gu wrote

Especially abandoned houses, and if the power hasn't been turned off yet, it might even be warm inside.

infadibulum t1_jeddots wrote

If you consider a house to be a homeless shelter, then any building that has a bed that you can stay in is a homeless shelter. The definition of shelter in 'homeless shelter: is intended to be temporary. Your own house is not intended to be temporary generally.

YellowMenace123 t1_jedgnct wrote

More like every building. Our work had a vestibule (entrance room w a door leading to another door to enter) and we've had homeless sleep in it overnight.

exbingoz t1_jedgs7k wrote

not even technically. People who live in it are not homeless. In shelters, people have no homes, only a temporary shelter.

ParttimeCretan t1_jedlgjr wrote

Except for the many houses that are owned yet no one lives in them because people would rather earn a little more money than help people

_Drion_ t1_jedpkjp wrote

The comments on this sub seem to think it's a fun fact sub.

This is a perfect example of a showerthought

−3

Revenge_of_the_User t1_jedq49i wrote

i disagree; because by definition if you are living in a home you are no longer homeless.

The inhabitants of a homeless shelter still do not have a "home"....they have "shelter". they're still homeless.

Jg6915 t1_jedr6yl wrote

Not true. A homeless person is someone who currently has no ownership or rental contract on a house.

Eziekel13 t1_jedrcmt wrote

Americans donate ~$465 billion per year to 501c(3) and 501(4) organizations… or ~$2 trillion every 4 years …

That could build quite a lot…

NotSkysAlt t1_jedu2sl wrote

people getting all technical in these comments are forgetting the idea of the sub…

qwerky7835 t1_jedw23n wrote

Another shower thought - it wouldn't be a homeless shelter if the person in question owns many homes

Billy_Rage t1_jee7019 wrote

That’s not what homeless means, nor what home ownership means

driverguy8 t1_jee8l87 wrote

I've heard people refer to " homeless animals". Excuse me , but the whole earth is their home, and has been for millions of years, they are not homeless.

SpookyWeebou t1_jee9tkt wrote

Officer I was just breaking into this house because it's technically a homeless shelter.

PlutocracyRules t1_jeef609 wrote

Unless it's your holiday/second home of course. In that case, not technically sheltering you from homelessness.

(NB. Before this ends up on humblebrag, number of houses I own = zero).

FunOwner t1_jeehhgi wrote

If you rent you're kinda in a similar situation. You may pay rent, but that only allows you to stay there for a contractual period of time. You might not pay at homeless shelters, but you still agree to follow the rules and can only stay for a contractual period of time.

Raichu7 t1_jeemts6 wrote

A homeless shelter isn’t a home, it’s a place of shelter for those without homes. Most people’s houses are homes.

newpinkbunnyslippers t1_jeeo38y wrote

This is a dumb stretch of definition.
The bums don't own the shelter, but lots of people own the house they live in and the property it sits on.
Those are not comparable.

ImSickOfYouToo t1_jeeunv3 wrote

Uh, no. Having a home makes you precisely the opposite of "without a home".

last_rights t1_jeevyti wrote

There was an abandoned house across the street from me and anytime a homeless person would start circling it and peering in windows and jiggling the door, I would call the local police.

Our local police are really nice. They would come out, ask the person some leading questions, then tell them the places that they could go for assistance, emphasizing the four places to within a ten minute walk that would house them for the night, and where to apply for more permanent housing.

But yeah, once they move in and receive mail, you're in for a rough one.

[deleted] t1_jef3ql6 wrote

Technically every homeless shelter, isn’t a homeless shelter.

williamsonmaxwell t1_jef9qs9 wrote

You should share this brave statement with some real homeless people

Earthwick t1_jefcxe4 wrote

Wouldn't any home lived in be technically NOT a homeless shelter since the people aren't homeless?

There should be a separate sub for just I don't want to say stupid thought cause I don't want to be mean but a sub for less than intelligent shower thoughts. Just cause you have it in a shower doesn't mean it makes sense.

n8udd t1_jefkru4 wrote

Not even close. I own a home and sleep in it, so how am I homeless in this scenario?