Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Tulip-roots t1_jedo7ep wrote

I really wish that there was a way to house everyone, even those without money. Homelessness shouldn't even be an issue but it heavily is. I was homeless for a month then couch surfed for 2 years. I got on a housing list that took a couple of years to get into. I met my boyfriend 3 months before I had my own room to rent, he was homeless too. He didn't risk me losing my housing but instead went through a similar program that helps the homeless. He got his own room 2.5 years later. We did well in the program, followed all the insane rules and eventually built a reputation up with the programs that we were able to finally rent our own place together 5.5 years into our relationship. It's been a long road but we are grateful. We have been dreaming of our own apartment for what seemed like forever. We went from owning the clothes on our backs to now having an apartment full of stuff, but I can honestly say that none of the stuff matters as much as having my boyfriend in my life. I know he was homeless before but he's the love of my life. He deserves the world

shoonseiki1 t1_jefaean wrote

I'm curious from your perspective how the homeless issue should be handled in the future? Is the current system that bad?