Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

8Bit-Armory t1_iu1u0gm wrote

They’re useful for tools, but aren’t nearly as rare as jewelers have claimed

FogletGilet t1_iu1w0g8 wrote

Synthetic ones are better for tools anyway and even for jewelry most of the time they are preferred.

punk_rancid t1_iu1wg1h wrote

Tool grade diamonds are waaaaaaaaay cheaper thant jewelry grade diamonds, i can buy a. 6 inches diamond encrusted cutting whell for 10 bucks, but a 20mm ring with a single diamond in it can set you back thousands of dollars.

throw4jklfj t1_iu20bn1 wrote

That's probably partly because tools containing diamond are made with synthetic diamonds instead of mined diamonds.

punk_rancid t1_iu210y4 wrote

Some jewelry are also made with synthetic diamonds, they are a tad bit cheaper but still cost an arm and a leg.

throw4jklfj t1_iu21us9 wrote

Yeah because they know people will pay for it whether the diamond is synthetic or not, the marketing has done its job. I'd be interested to see the profit margin they take in for natural vs synthetic jewelry diamonds.

punk_rancid t1_iu24y5i wrote

For the natural one the profit margin is already huge(read it like trump says it) i imagine that for the synthetic ones is even huger(?)

Skyraider96 t1_iu2qig2 wrote

A big difference is tool diamonds are polycystalline (atom are different directions) where lab grown diamonds are single crystalline (or attempted to be) so the clarity is different.

Also, tool diamond are normally created by HPHT process where jewelry is normally CVD process. Different time and cost per stone.

punk_rancid t1_iu2rgvv wrote

Very interesting. Out of curiosity, how do you know that about synthetic diamonds and its processes?

Skyraider96 t1_iu2ug2l wrote

I work at a place that makes the diamonds using CVD.