Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MsAnnabel t1_iuhs5j4 wrote

Considering I used to be a blackout drunk, I’m sure there are a lot of someones 😖

edessa_rufomarginata t1_iuhtyzg wrote

Congrats on the "used to be" part of that statement 💕

MsAnnabel t1_iuieh1k wrote

Thank you! Yes been 11 yrs now. Had 15 yrs the first time around!

MrMing-NaWen t1_iuhu73n wrote

Sounds like you have moved onto better things, though. Good for you, that's what matters now.

KarmaticArmageddon t1_iuhys9f wrote

Yeah... I'm a recovering heroin addict (celebrating 7 years clean this week, actually) and I still find out every once in a while about a time that I was high and was a complete asshole.

It gets easier, though, most people who tell me this stuff nowadays know I've been clean for a while and have already mostly pre-forgiven me. Regardless, I still apologize as sincerely as I can and do what I can to make amends. Being high wasn't an excuse then and it still isn't.

MsAnnabel t1_iui22eh wrote

Congrats on your 7 years!!! That’s awesome!! I’ve got 11 years now, my second time around. First time I had 15 yrs and blew it. Started drinking again on a cruise. Idiot!! I cringe at the things I do remember! Forgiving myself was the hardest tho. Harder than making amends humbly.

All I can say is never become complacent with your sobriety. That disease can stay hidden for a long time and then come out when you least expect it. Of course I knew better to drink but that old tape “maybe I’m not an alcoholic” is always there.

mechapoitier t1_iui5fpb wrote

Yeah I was a blackout drunk for a couple years straight to the point where it rewired my whole personality. I hated being told what I did the night before. I never remembered, and it was always something horrible.