Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Dwestmor1007 t1_iuht409 wrote

As a teacher I think about this all of the time. Kids hang on to the smallest thing sometimes and remember it for the rest of their lives. I remember small stuff my teachers did growing up that I felt was unfair etc. and I wonder what I’ve done that “haunts” some former student

Rubyhamster t1_iuhxyjv wrote

Heh, I have one of these memories from high school that have actually made a deep mark. On a physics exam, I interpreted one of 5 questions completely different that everyone else. Everyone else had just assumed that the magnet component in the drawing was held up by a wire which wasn't drawn in. I didn't see a wire and solved by those parameters. When the teacher reduced my score by two grades, I had to ask what I did wrong. She said that my solution was completely right if the wire wasn't there, but it "was meant to" be interpreted as being there and she couldn't change my score. I stopped trusting my brain after that, because it didn't matter if the answer was right. My accomplishments was still at the mercy of "neurotypical interpretation".