Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nitrohigito t1_iu6hnqe wrote

I wasn't particularly addressing religion, though that is indeed (partially) how I feel about it. But rather than (false) hope, I'd prefer either actual options were given (good quality palliative care(*) / euthanasia / quality time spent together), or nothing at all. Hoping in vain is like rubbing salt into a wound.

(*) Of course, this is all very subjective, and in the real world, especially if the patient or the family is religious / follows spiritualist philosophies, this will not be the correct approach. But I hope it was clear this was just me being opinionated throughout.

whenwillitbenow t1_iu6j1aq wrote

As a palliative nurse (I float to locked behavioural and dementia units) I find belief and religion strongest at this time of life. It helps people grieve. I see it constantly. Logic really doesn’t matter at a time like this, I find the “most logical ones” are often the most lost. Working on this setting has only strengthened my beliefs. (Note this is all my personal experience)

nitrohigito t1_iu6k2dd wrote

Within the framework of "improving the patient's quality of life to the end" that makes sense. But then I'd say it's pretty justified to feel absolutely in shambles / lost when half the time you're out of it, you know that, and slowly but surely you're nearing death with each passing day.

whenwillitbenow t1_iu6ltbv wrote

What do you mean by out of it half the time? Many are not confused as death nears. I have coherent conversations with people who pass within hours all the time.this is different from straight dementia

nitrohigito t1_iu6m0os wrote

I meant it mentally, was thinking about my family member who passed away from Alzheimers. He was visibly not present most of the time, less and less over time.

Could work different for dementia patients, thought the effects were similar.

whenwillitbenow t1_iu6p466 wrote

Oh sorry for my misunderstanding

When a person is dying of dementia and not some other cause, they are not out of it half the time. The dementia takes memory, then mobility, then fine motor control, then speech, and finally swallowing - usually in that order. When they are in the active dying phase of dementia it’s like they are just a body. But often another cause will take them first, such as infection or choking.