Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

RocketSurgeon22 t1_iy0oyca wrote

They pay firms to create noise and use bots to comment, like and share. The best way to stop supporting them is boycott their films or shows.

migueeel t1_iy1jiv9 wrote

I seriously wonder why do we use algorithms that look for "hot" debates and such, when they're being gamed this often.

OfCourseIKnowHim t1_iy20bcs wrote

People tend to engage more with things that outrage them than anything else.

bluish-velvet t1_iy0kpdv wrote

You would also have to stop watching the movies they’re in or listening to the songs they sing.

onions_cutting_ninja t1_iy16kc4 wrote

OP's statement is so stupid. 99% of celebrities are famous for a reason. Usually, that reason is being in famous movies everyone saw, releasing hit songs, or being an important politician. As for the remaining useless 1%, give it enough money and they will make themselves known to you (eg: Kardashians, Elon Musk)

ilikemushycarrots t1_iy12coj wrote

Depends on what they are famous for. You could ignore the entire Kardashian family and your music, movies and sports wouldn't be affected at all (I think, I don't know anything about them, one of them might do movies or music or sports but I think they are just famous for being famous or reality TV type stuff)

tohones82 t1_iy0q4aj wrote

I want to believe you, I truly do but after 20 years of ignoring the Kardashians your statement is bullshit.

bigOlBellyButton t1_iy15ow0 wrote

I hear people complain about the kardashians way more than I've ever heard anything directly from them. I can't name half of them and i couldn't tell you what any of their voices sound like. And this isn't me going out of my way to avoid them. I just don't see them because i don't care.

Yet people still complain about them like the kardashian's are physically forcing them to pay attention to them. Its really not that hard to ignore them.

King_of_the_Dot t1_iy1qv8h wrote

That's why they're so famous. Because despite never watching/supporting them, people still talk about them.

bigOlBellyButton t1_iy1rvu4 wrote

You're absolutely right. I'm just pointing out that 80% of their fame comes directly from people who keep complaining about how famous they are. If they just stopped bringing them up then the kardashians would be as famous as any other reality tv group like real housewives, thousand pound sisters, and duck dynasty(if they're even around anymore). That is to say, we would have a vague awareness that they exist and not much else.

MikeTythonChicken t1_iy0ly4q wrote

Also translates to politicians. Vote for better candidates and we’ll get… wait for it… better candidates.

dubbsmqt t1_iy0rq3v wrote

People need to stop skipping primaries

Jampine t1_iy10a7z wrote

Problem is, once you get e ough corrupt people into power, they start changing the rules, so it's easier for them to stay in power, without actually needing to work for the people to earn votes.

As we're seeing in America, once enough political power has been accrued, you can corrupt the public's conscious to the point where they will vote for your party, regardless on what the party actually uses it's power for.

Bhap1 t1_iy0vrp6 wrote

Celebrities weren't forced upon us human worship is innate to humans. The onus isnt on the consumer to stop worshipping them since its a natural human drive, if you want celebrities to go away you'd have to remove the incentive for them to exist or to ban their existence through legislation.

HeadShaped t1_iy16don wrote

“No matter how much fame you have, it’s not something that belongs to you. If I’m famous, that doesn’t belong to me-that belongs to you. If you can’t remember who I am, I’m no longer famous.” — Michael J. Fox

crex043 t1_iy0wury wrote

Take the word "celebrity" out of the English language, and they will no longer know what to call themselves nor will people be able to find them.

veenell t1_iy1403s wrote

no they won't because everyone else will keep talking about them

Showerthoughts_Mod t1_iy0k3jv wrote

This is a friendly reminder to read our rules.

Remember, /r/Showerthoughts is for showerthoughts, not "thoughts had in the shower!"

(For an explanation of what a "showerthought" is, please read this page.)

Rule-breaking posts may result in bans.

probablywrongbutmeh t1_iy18ii3 wrote

Been saying that about JK Rowling. Let her fade away and be remembered as a one hit wonder who never wrote another good word after Harry Potter

Bhap1 t1_iy1ichq wrote

Ah right then ,bet shes crying over her billion dollar franchise. she must be living on a straw bed by now, bless her. You cant be a 1 hit wonder if you write 7 smash hits in a row that basically represents one of the grandest literary works ever wrote, my dear.

Engineer-Daddy t1_iy3rbg5 wrote

Seems a bit disingenuous that you want to disregard her as a writer but still worship her novels. If you’re truly disappointed with her actions then you would stop supporting all her works and not just the ones you don’t care for.

anarchismal t1_iy18n84 wrote

i feel like this would just turn over to social media influencers and it'd be a whole fame thing all over again just different style. i much rather the celebrities we have now be in movies than youtubers and tiktok dancers.

Rare-Height-7956 t1_iy1b4b5 wrote

This is how i felt after the Johnny Depp trial. Stop saying his ex-wifes name so she can disappear.

HauserAspen t1_iy1ee1s wrote

Stop upvoting terrible showerthoughts and maybe people will stop posting them

hooliganmike t1_iy1gtyr wrote

Will never happen because as more people ignore them the chances of getting attention from the celebrity by everyone else increases.

GeneralGiggle t1_iy1hoee wrote

My biggest annoyance are celebrities who only appear in celebrity versions of shows. Celebrity Wife swap, Celebrity Come Dine With Me etc. If they weren't in these shows they wouldn't be celebs anymore.

AppropriateRent2308 t1_iy1hoet wrote

Most celebrities are completely useless to society. Playing with balls or pretending, arent profesions in my book.

OmegaStealthJam t1_iy1hrk4 wrote

Always thought the idea of everyone just ignoring them on twitter or the like for 2 or 3 days to see what happens would be hilarious.

GodLikePlaya t1_iy1ils3 wrote

Stop talking about X and they will stop talking about X. This formula is making the rounds and it is extremely frustrating. This is common sense!

LouSayners t1_iy1ngkk wrote

I get where you’re coming from, but not entirely true. Like, if we stop talking about Daniel Craig, I’m still gunna fangirl over him if I see him in the street because he’s James Bond. Yagetme?

balrus-balrogwalrus t1_iy1183z wrote

for real, like, imagine if everyone just stopped seeing any movie with chris pratt in it and stopped talking about him and just completely ignored and silently boycotted him to the point that casting him in any film is a surefire way for it to fail catastrophically. they might even recast mario to his original voice actor

donjohndijon t1_iy1dw31 wrote

Stop talking about, and stop watching, seem to be very different things