Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ironicf8 t1_iy0evdo wrote

No if you win the lottery. Then play again. You are more likely to win the second time than the first. Statistically this is true but that just goes to show how misleading statistics are. It's based on the fact that there is a higher % of people who have won the lottery and then won again, than people who have won vs the general population. I was joking but it is an actual statistic.

decolored t1_iy0fdmt wrote

Ah, so the statistic is actually better worded: if you continue to play the lottery after winning, you are likely to continue to use that lottery winner wealth until you eventually win again, when compared with the average player. Yes indeed that is statistically logical and deceptive

Emu1981 t1_iy108w2 wrote

>if you continue to play the lottery after winning, you are likely to continue to use that lottery winner wealth until you eventually win again, when compared with the average player

Let's say the population is 100 million, you have 1 million lottery players* and of these 1 million lottery players, 1000 have won the jackpot. The ratio of jackpot winners to the general population is 1 in 100,000. If a single one of those jackpot winners wins the jackpot again then the double jackpot winner to single jackpot winner ratio is equal to 1 in 1,000. This means that despite having just a single double jackpot winner, the double jackpot winner is statistically 100 times more common in the jackpot winner population than the single jackpot winner is in the general population.

Note: I have no idea what percentage of the population has actually won a jackpot, the numbers provided are just guesses that let me show what I am getting and to do the maths easier.

*edited to hopefully make some sense looks for his coffee*

*I could probably just remove the reference to the percentage of the population that plays the lottery as it isn't really used at all.

Unitedite t1_iy0hlvi wrote

This is not how probability works. The number of double lottery winners has no bearing on your chance of winning the lottery, regardless of whether or not you've won it yourself.