Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Showerthoughts_Mod t1_iy5yrsl wrote

This is a friendly reminder to read our rules.

Remember, /r/Showerthoughts is for showerthoughts, not "thoughts had in the shower!"

(For an explanation of what a "showerthought" is, please read this page.)

Rule-breaking posts may result in bans.

Squashbockle t1_iy5yusj wrote

Just as a colorblind person wouldn't know if someone didn't tell then the difference.

Momentofclarity_2022 t1_iy66nkq wrote

I’ve been told that blind people do see some things. It’s not totally dark. And deaf people hear some things. It’s not totally silent.

David-Diron t1_iy6gtai wrote

No, I'd think they don't know what light is, but darkness they experience every day, so they would know what darkness is.

Nopumpkinhere t1_iy6nuk7 wrote

Yes and no, my grandma was born blind and she never saw light or darkness but was able to conceptualize it in feeling the different temperature and skin feeling of being in the sun and shade. She had two brothers also born blind, I only met one and he could “see” light and dark, but that’s it. Like, if he held his hand in front of the bright sun he could see the outline. He was still considered blind though, so much so that he kept his eyes closed all the time. When he tried to see outline he still did it behind his eyelids. He only found out he could do it because of a house fire.

David-Diron t1_iy727oh wrote

No, I think you have it reversed: they experience darkness, so they know what it is. It's light they can have no concept of. It's like your nerves constantly sending signals to your brain: you know what sensation is, so try to imagine no sensation whatsoever: you can't.

PaulAchess t1_iy7ajzo wrote

If you define darkness as the absence of light, that's actually all they know?

davidml1023 t1_iy7b3b2 wrote

Go check out the Molyneux question and get ready to go down a rabbit hole and have your mind blown.

Loverboy21 t1_iy7ca61 wrote

No, bud. They don't have sight. Light, dark, whatever. They don't perceive it. At all.

Do you see darkness with your feet? Because your feet can see what a blind person's eyes can.

Maria_506 t1_iy7vtew wrote

Depends on what kind of blind. Some people can have such awful eyesight that it's useless, but they can still see.

QutieLuvsQuails t1_iy7zsff wrote

You’re wrong. Many blind people can perceive light. If you take a blind person from a dim room and into a sunny one, they will notice. It’s just like deaf people, they don’t hear every single lyric and sound but they can definitely perceive music!

Aki_The_Ghost t1_iy8eoir wrote

Some of them maybe, but not all of them. You can very well be completely deaf or blind. But still, they can "see" or "hear" things, wich is simply using their other senses to fill the holes their disability has left.

Aki_The_Ghost t1_iy8fhby wrote

I have had a case of fetal memory, where you still remember some of the times from your mother's womb. All of the imaginary descriptions of feeling warm and comfortable that I found about it on the internet were completely false in my eyes, because I only felt one thing : nothing. The concept of lift and temperature simply didn't exist, I couldn't know they existed. I just thought I was a bodyless entity looking at the void.

QutieLuvsQuails t1_iy8yaqj wrote

Um… YES. Thanks for your scholarly input. 🫠

A deaf person won the show “Dancing with the Stars” bc he could feel the music and dance to the beats.

I read his memoir. Nyle Demarco was born deaf. He could absolutely “perceive” music.

Loverboy21 t1_iy9fgun wrote

The premise of the OP is not about partially sighted people. "Legally blind" covers a huge range of optical conditions. My father is legally blind, but his coke-bottle trifocals mean he can see as well as I can.

Which means, despite being legally blind, he aint blind.

And tactile perception has nothing to do with deafness at all, so I mean... irrelevant. If you can use a different sense to see with, lemme know.