Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SmallpoxTurtleFred t1_j2alpov wrote

Not if they saw the movie first. Millions of people have one memory of Lord of the Rings from the movie. They will see that when they read the novel.

oldmanshoutinatcloud t1_j2arxi7 wrote

Unless there's a character like Tom Bombadil that doesn't appear in the movies.

User_Neq t1_j2bizzc wrote

Such an important missed opportunity/obligation

bill_gonorrhea t1_j2d9ncr wrote

I actually think he was a rabbit while they creatively avoided.

UndendingGloom t1_j2e089j wrote

I'm listening to the audiobook by Andy Serkis, I still imagine movie frodo in scenes with Tom bombadil even though he is being voiced essentially by gollum. So weird.

BaronVonBearenstein t1_j2atgey wrote

Even having read the books before seeing the movies I find if I reread the books all the imagery is that of the movie now

QJ0k3r t1_j2bqlkb wrote

Actually not for me. I watched Interview with a vampire before reading the books and the way Anne Rice describes the characters in the books drew a totally different image for me

dubiago t1_j2brzuc wrote

Can confirm. I watched the first season of The Expanse before starting to read the novels...I already had the characters' appearance neatly laid out for me. Same with Harry Potter--saw the movies first. The books, however, were absolutely superior to the films.

jumpsteadeh t1_j2chv83 wrote

I felt dumb when I realized a few movies into Harry Potter that I wasn't reading the actors as getting older between books. The Harry Potter I read in Order of the Pheonix looked like Daniel Radcliffe in 1999.

EN3RGIX t1_j2csht3 wrote

This is very true. I recently read The Martian by Andy Weir and the whole time I visualized Matt Damon.

Sercotani t1_j2d10q4 wrote

me when I dived into the ASOIAF novels after finishing Season 5 of AGOT. Reading the wiki and seeing the book version of the characters drawn was quite a shock to me.

Sunblast1andOnly t1_j2e5go7 wrote

This was my thinking as well, though the example I had in mind was The Witcher after having seen the games.

sociallyvicarious t1_j2bnkf4 wrote

STOP with the movie stuff!! They are NOT the same as the books! If you read the book, you determine the features and such in your mind. When you watch the movie, that determination is no longer your own. Books and movies of books should be mutually exclusive.

−6