Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Annoelle t1_j29dkfd wrote

I have an apple tree and a pear tree in my yard. Neither ever yields fruit we can actually eat because we don’t have the tools or time to keep the bugs, squirrels, and birds away from them so they can mature. On top of that apple trees need to be in pairs so they can germinate each other, so our apple tree almost never grows apples at all.

Just because you can plant a fruit tree doesnt mean you’ll get reliable yields from it. It takes far more time, effort, and money to sustain something like that than most people can manage. That’s even if you have the land and money to plant the tree and decades to ensure it grows and matures properly. So yeah, having dedicated farmers tend to an orchard and distribute that yield to stores we can buy them in is pretty understandable.

tr14l t1_j29eoax wrote

You just have to travel to the region of the world that tree grows on! Then, hope you don't get shot by the owner of said tree! Six days and 3800 miles later, you have yourself mango! Now, time to go milk the cow, harvest the other ingredients like sugar, mine for the salt, and i can finally make mango yogurt! Ah shit, the mango went bad during all my travelling and harvesting and farming.

apple_octopi t1_j29q467 wrote

We wear clothes made by others even though we could knit them ourselves.

Possibly the dumbest post I've seen on this sub

Combat_Medic t1_j2abz56 wrote

Ah yes the famous Wisconsin Pineapple tree/bush thing I forgot what they classify as.

plinocmene t1_j2aybi6 wrote

Most of those trees are owned by somebody else, unless you buy seeds and grow your own, but that requires you to have a lawn and also to account for it getting enough sunlight and water.

Showerthoughts_Mod t1_j29bka5 wrote

This is a friendly reminder to read our rules.

Remember, /r/Showerthoughts is for showerthoughts, not "thoughts had in the shower!"

(For an explanation of what a "showerthought" is, please read this page.)

Rule-breaking posts may result in bans.

WozKhalifa1 t1_j2aqtfn wrote

We could literally harvest anything in the grocery store ourselves…

−1