Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

wildadragon t1_j224j2a wrote

JFC how dumb are these posts gonna get? There are ambidextrous people.

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j224sm1 wrote

I'm ambidextrous, nitwit. the point is that the label is unnecessary, because if you can't use one of your fucking hands there's something wrong with you

−51

wildadragon t1_j2253cy wrote

1 you said there are no ambidextrous people then identify as ambidextrous so who's the nitwit.

2 it's not they can't use their hand, it's not a dead hand. Like most they have a dominant hand as only about 1% of people are truly ambidextrous

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j225dpx wrote

Well if you have a psychological aversion to using 50% of your appendages, why the shit am I the one with the four syllable label?

I noticed you used the word "they", too. Haha. You don't wanna be in the club, but youre in it

−32

wildadragon t1_j225s9o wrote

Wow clearly you don't understand any of it and probably aren't ambidextrous.

It's not an aversion against an appendage it's a preference to one. There's a difference.

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j226z7d wrote

Tomato tomato.

Says who? These are just regular people, they don't have a label under which to define their viewpoints on the usage of their lesser used hand. How the hell are you going to say it's not an aversion without asking the person if it's an aversion or a preference, Doctor?

−14

wildadragon t1_j227o8r wrote

Look up Hand Dominance there have been studies for decades about it. Is it genetic, or is it taught or both? The definition by actual doctors list it as a preference because they choose one over the other. The only time it was an aversion was typically left handedness as it was seen as evil in some religions, even nuns used to force left handed people to use their right hands and would punish then when they didn't. So maybe read before you post garbage online. It'll do wonders for your intellect.

sojournandinsight t1_j228pac wrote

He would need to be able to comprehend what he reads, which doesn't seem to be his strong point though, since it's obvious he doesn't even know the difference between aversion and preference, though he is able to insert the words into a sentence.

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j22a0c5 wrote

You guys win. I'm retracting my submission to the American medical association, with much sadness

−1

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j22af80 wrote

Lol, it's "shower thoughts". I was supposed to read a study on hand dominance first? This is quite literally the exact right place to post half-baked garbage online. I'm actually surprised that this seems to have eluded you.

"The only time it was an aversion", he says about people who lived in the past and made no record whatsoever of whether it was an aversion or not. Maybe they also had an aversion to know it alls showing up at the pub and correcting everybody's language.

−1

wildadragon t1_j22ao47 wrote

It also has to make some amount of sense also probably shouldn't call people disabled. Next when you literally contradict yourself the first reply you made should have told you that you're literally wrong.

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j26tgkg wrote

You're such a tool. It wasn't a literal statement, as I've already explained to you. Also, the rules for the posts on this sub literally state that is for things thought of while staring blankly at a wall, and you're in here critiquing me for not having sound formal logical argument, and for having not read a study on hand dominance. Get the fuck outta here. It makes perfect sense. All the people who can't use one hand are disabled, but they instead call the people who have two functional hands "ambidextrous". Then you wanted to nitpick about preference vs aversion and all sorts of other nonsense.

The fact that this post is even up and wasn't removed is testament to the fact that it was sufficiently stupid in the correct way for the sub, which you keep confusing for the American Medical Association sub.

Megafister420 t1_j24c1b9 wrote

A shower thought is usually thought out pretty well as you are stuck in the shower to think about it. This was not even remotely thought out

Megafister420 t1_j24bnft wrote

Most ppl are one hand dominant, ambidextrous is the minority (I can do anything with both hands aside from writing)

Wrong_Opposites t1_j23183u wrote

Seriously, where the fuck is the r/toiletthoughts sub? Gotta flush these shit shower thoughts.

King_Trujillo t1_j224uzb wrote

I wrote this with my left hand because the virtual bitch slap was sent with the right.

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j2251kw wrote

You sound like one of those ambidextrous guys Also a chronically lying masturbator.

Edit: and/or And I don't approve of slapping anybody, least of all bitches. I call them ladies, but I get it. You're frustrated. But we don't have to take it out on women's faces, do we? I for one stand against beating women, an unpopular opinion at the moment. I'm no hero, just a regular guy deserving of some sort of plaque, maybe.

−89

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j22595i wrote

Oh come on. Who would downvote that

Edit: can even one person explain why they disliked that comment?

−79

King_Trujillo t1_j22enwd wrote

Everybody

willengineer4beer t1_j23jqn3 wrote

I wasn’t part of “everybody” until I read the comment asking who would downvote it.

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j26uvq6 wrote

I'm honestly not sure if people don't get the joke or what. I mean, it's not hilarious but it wasn't mean spirited. The guy is typing with his left hand, which is what guys who are jerking off do. How did a hundred people think it was some sex negative anti masturbation thing? This whole thread is insanity.

ThatRandomPersonHere t1_j22z7cm wrote

OP really chose this hill to dig their heels in and die on? Really?

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j26xdqm wrote

This place is full of fucking morons. Apparently it's not impossible to decipher the meaning of the thought, because the subs moderators were able to do it successfully. If they'd been as confused as some of these other people, it would have been removed for being a nonsensical statement. I'm obviously not calling the ambidextrous people disabled, although it's become exceptionally clear that I should have written it differently. Still, what the fuck is so hard to grasp about this?

There's a thousand different people with a thousand different nitpicks, and the whole shitload of people who think I'm calling ambidextrous people disabled or saying they don't literally exist. I feel like these people are going to experience their own shower thought and they're going to suddenly realize what the fuck I actually intended to say, not that I haven't written it out a half dozen times at this point.

But I don't understand is why somebody would be lurking in a place specifically designed for mindless thoughts (they actually specify that it's the sort of thought you would get while staring blankly at a wall) and then complain about the quality of the submissions. And I'm supposed to be the idiot, because I think people should be able to use both of their hands.

ThatRandomPersonHere t1_j26zywo wrote

Ya know, most people read posts at a glance, and at first read you sound ablest, calling ambidextrous people disabled. And you being ambidextrous isn't some sort of get-out-of-jail-free card from what you said. You can be discriminatory against the same condition or situation you have. You chose to keep arguing instead of simply making a comment clarifying what you said. I've read most of your responses and you sound like a jackass. You're arguing when you could be doing something a lot more productive with your time. And calling non-ambidextrous people disabled is going to trigger negative responses. People don't like being called disabled, especially for a perfectly normal thing, genius. Disabled is considered a dirty word most of the time, and you kept digging your grave by repeating it.

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j2bmmzo wrote

I made comments clarifying everything in literally my first comment, and in something like a dozen or so comments after that, directly responding to nearly everybody to clarify -- lengthy responses, too.

if somebody wants to take me as uncharitably as possible, and continue to do so even after I engage with them to clear up whatever misconception they may have had about my words or intention, (like thinking I called a guy a lying masturbator as some kind of bizarre puritanical insult and not merely a joke about a guy who is admittedly hunting and pecking his message out with his left hand), and after I say I could have written it more clearly to have avoided the confusion etc., these are not people acting in good faith.

I explained until I was blue in the face, and not a single person said "oh I see", not because the explanation didn't make sense, but because a downvoting mob of imbeciles before them found it more entertaining to believe that I was making any number of nonsensical statements than to understand those explanations.

So fine, I'm a jackass, but I'm in really good company. Also, I would be willing to bet you right now that I could wait a couple days, rephrase the initial shower thought, and people would agree with it. "Ambidextrous is the only four-syllable label given to people for not lacking function of an appendage", or something similar. Which is exactly what I was saying, as you damn well know.
Call me a liar or choose to think otherwise, but if the roles were reversed, I would be defending you from intentionally obtuse attacks even if it meant getting a couple downvotes from the clowns in attendance.

ThatRandomPersonHere t1_j2c0il3 wrote

People weren't saying "oh I see," because again you were acting like a jackass. People aren't going to take responses and answers from jackasses. If you reposted it but reworded it, you'd most likely get one of two outcomes: people recognizing the post or your user, or new people would see your post and have their own thoughts. They'd most likely "attack" you for how you worded that because God that title was hard to follow. People are attacking you because you were rude and were calling people disabled and no matter what you say in response, even if you clarify what you said, will change that. People are attacking what could plausibly be deemed as a discriminatory statement. Attitude has a huge effect on how people perceive you and what you say.

tomatocucumber t1_j230b3m wrote

I’m gathering that you don’t know what the word “ambidextrous” means. The prefix “ambi-“ means “both,” as in you can use both hands equally

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j26srrh wrote

Right. You don't think not being able to use one hand to any reasonable degree would qualify as being partially disabled? As in, "ambidextrous" just means you're normal and both hands function, while it should be everybody else who gets stuck with a label for having a hand they can barely use.

tomatocucumber t1_j26vk1n wrote

The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities defines disability as:

“long-term physical, mental, intellectual or sensory impairments which in interaction with various barriers may hinder [a person's] full and effective participation in society on an equal basis with others.”

So no. Having a dominant hand is not a disability. Most definitions agree that having a disability means being unable to perform major life activities without accommodations. Being right- or left-hand dominant isn’t a disability really by any serious definition

And frankly, what you’ve posited is a little offensive. It’s bs like this that presents barriers to getting support for people who actually do have disabilities

FlexSmash t1_j248a33 wrote

OP: there are no ambidextrous people, you’re just disabled

OP:You must be a lying chronic masturbator if you say you’re ambidextrous

OP: I am ambidextrous, you nitwit

OP proceeds to get downvoted

OP: ~pikachu face~

Did I get that right?

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j26ycau wrote

Not even close. Ambidextrous people are just people who can use both of the hands they were born with. If you can't use both your hands, that's a problem. Not with the ambidextrous people, with the other people.

If you say you are typing a comment with your left hand because your right hand is busy "slapping", I might make a joke accusing you of being a guy who is actually masturbating and lying about it. Shoot me.

I am not literally denying the existence of ambidextrous people, because I am ambidextrous. But we don't have to call ourselves ambidextrous, because all it means is that our fucking hands work. I don't have a four-syllable label for you because you walk with both legs. That's what I meant by no ambidextrous people, but I've already explained this.

Look, this is exactly what this sub is for. The reason it's even still up is because it aligns with the rules of the sub. That's about all the vindication I need, although it would be nice if even one person was able to understand the comment itself after a reading one of my dozen or so clarifications that went into the ether.

MinniesWorld t1_j24125g wrote

I don’t understand why being able to use both hands equally would be considered a disability. What denial exists there?

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j26skym wrote

Perhaps it was poorly written. As I attempted to clarify, it is the non-ambidextrous people who are essentially disabled. The ambidextrous label is completely unnecessary, because you are supposed to be able to use both of your hands.

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j26yuc6 wrote

Hang on, did this make sense? I've typed this something like a dozen times and not one person has indicated that they have understood me to any degree whatsoever.

MinniesWorld t1_j270lzc wrote

Originally, it sounded like you were saying that ambidextrous people were disabled, and although you have tried to walk it back, I think it is an uphill task, and I’m not entirely certain it’s going to be worth the effort

SistaSaline t1_j2484r2 wrote

What are you talking about? There are ambidextrous people. I’m one of them.

fading__blue t1_j24923i wrote

I’m guessing from their other comments they mean people who aren’t ambidextrous are the disabled ones? Which is still moronic and shows they have no understanding of what a disability is, but at least it makes more sense than saying ambidextrous people are disabled.

TigerlilyBlanche t1_j24ff6v wrote

OP your post and your other comments show you're a complete dumbass.

Showerthoughts_Mod t1_j2246hm wrote

This is a friendly reminder to read our rules.

Remember, /r/Showerthoughts is for showerthoughts, not "thoughts had in the shower!"

(For an explanation of what a "showerthought" is, please read this page.)

Rule-breaking posts may result in bans.

bucketofnope42 t1_j24hzsa wrote

There it is, 930am and I already know in my heart of hearts this is the dumbest thing I will read all day.

OP please step off your edgelord crate and accept the fact you will die alone.

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j26zutc wrote

Edgelord, holy shit. Like this whole thing was to offend somebody and not just point out the goofy nature of the fact that so many people won't use one of their hands. This whole thing started because a guy was in a knife sub trying to buy a whole nother $80 knife so he could flick it open with his middle finger, when there was already the tab to flick it open with if he would just use his other hand, which was too big of an imposition for him, and was worth at least 80 bucks to him to not have to use his left hand.

If he had simply use his left hand, like a human probably ought to, there's a four syllable label for that. But if he goes and spends another $80 because he can't use his left hand ... look if you showed up to a job and you're a guy with one arm, you're disabled .
All these other people are basically one armed men who just happened to have the second arm still swinging around never doing anything useful. If they're not disabled, what are they? I'm open to different terminology, but there is some denial there if they're half broken and don't acknowledge it.

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j225jwb wrote

Jesus Christ, you'd think I posted this in 'r/momentsofpurebrilliance

−13

[deleted] t1_j2263dm wrote

[removed]

−14

wildadragon t1_j226o6f wrote

Only failure is you saying there are no ambidextrous people then flat out admitting you're ambidextrous. Can't be more wrong or hypocritical than that.

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j2280dd wrote

Yeah, well, I didn't think I'd have to defend it in the completely literal sense, but I wasn't expecting to encounter the Lord of Ambidexterity here, either. It was nice meeting you, though.

(Also, it was you who said I probably wasn't ambidextrous so now who's the hypocrite?)

−5

wildadragon t1_j2287rq wrote

So you used specific words and didn't realize they had literal meanings?

>Yeah, well, I didn't think

You certainly didnt.

Ophiomancy_Xaxax OP t1_j2712e0 wrote

This comment is stupid. Words have meanings. Sentences also have interpretations, and this sentence in particular I explained to you was to be interpreted non-literally.
Look, are you actually suggesting that I am on the one hand saying ambidextrous people do not literally exist in this world while simultaneously calling myself ambidextrous? And that you have actually come in here and remedied the situation by pointing out my error? Is that what you think your role was here? Hey, thanks, man!

That you could have spent as much time as you have here without ever moving beyond this, even after I walked you through it, is really something. You didn't for a second consider the fact that I may have had some point I was making beyond the apparent contradiction that has occupied so much of your attention? Not possible?

wildadragon t1_j271l71 wrote

That's exactly what you wrote there is no "interpretation" if it was something vague maybe, but you made absolute statements.

>There are no ambidextrous people

>I am ambidextrous

Like what's there to interpret?

You're welcome, glad I could help you see the error of your ways. Learn from your mistakes.