Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

canigetahoohelp t1_j2016f5 wrote

Yes! I was once laying down kind of parallel with an open window talking to a friend who screamed mid sentence when I tilted my head a certain way haha. She then realized what was happening and took a video so I could see! Super weird but pretty cool

StaleTheBread OP t1_j201q2s wrote

Oh wow! I always thought it was something to do with cameras picking up light in a different way than we do. But I guess I was mixing up film cameras with cheap digital cameras that don’t filter IR.

I guess it has something to do with the angle of the flash and how we don’t usually see each others eyes at the right angle and lighting for something like that.

Edit: thank you for answering my question. Other people on here don’t seem to have much patience

Trooper_Sicks t1_j20l2iy wrote

>I guess it has something to do with the angle of the flash and how we don’t usually see each others eyes at the right angle and lighting for something like that.

I was told its because the flash bounces off the back of our eyes back into the camera, cameras with an anti red eye shines a light into your eye before the flash so your eyes contract in reaction and so less likely for the flash to bounce out compared to if they were dilated

StaleTheBread OP t1_j20lcum wrote

Wow, that’s really interesting! And we don’t usually look at people getting light shined right into their eyes so we rarely see it outside of photos

canigetahoohelp t1_j20cuk5 wrote

Yeah no problem! I see you’re getting downvoted for asking the question… sometimes human beings don’t know things until they ask. Happy to share some insight! It’s definitely the angle of the light/flash.

StaleTheBread OP t1_j20dqxm wrote

Thanks! I wish people actually read the comments before posting. Then they’d know plenty of people already corrected me

Edit: also I wish people wouldn’t take me so literally. I’m not trying to say early photographers were cowering in fear at the thought of demons.

And on top of that, even if the literal “first” people to see it knew, it doesn’t mean they knew to inform consumers. They may have though, “eh, they’ll be smart enough to not freak out” and then maybe consumers freaked out.

BaloonPriest t1_j22bf2u wrote

You should've just rolled with it. "My child, offer the spine of your firstborn to me for unimaginable riches and power"