Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

manofmatt t1_j2djf03 wrote

Nope. Loads of different calenders across the world, loads of different months and days in months.

https://www.altalang.com/beyond-words/6-calendars-around-the-world/

manofmatt t1_j2djks2 wrote

This Google search took me 2 seconds to disprove, maybe check first next time.

bathcat7 t1_j2djfw8 wrote

Yes, I assume we all thought it was, today, at some point in time.

yirzmstrebor t1_j2ezyzu wrote

Not quite accurate. However, I will say that the story behind the Julian Calendar is hilarious. Before Julius Caesar, the Roman calendar was approved each year by the Roman Senate. Eventually Senators figured out that they could add a few days here to make their own term in office longer, or take a few away there to shorten their rival's term. They kept doing this, and pretty soon the calendar was so fucked up that it was snowing in June. So, Julius Caesar finally came along, told them to knock it off, made an extra long year to get everything back on track, developed a nice 365 day calendar, named a month after himself (July), and invented leap years.

Then his nephew Augustus came along and decided he wanted a month named after himself, too, and changed Sextilius to August, thereby robbing us of a month with the abbreviation "Sex."

Showerthoughts_Mod t1_j2dix11 wrote

This is a friendly reminder to read our rules.

Remember, /r/Showerthoughts is for showerthoughts, not "thoughts had in the shower!"

(For an explanation of what a "showerthought" is, please read this page.)

Rule-breaking posts may result in bans.