Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

shadowlarx t1_j6hshgl wrote

In the infancy of mass communications, the Columbus and Magellan of broadcast journalism, William Paley and David Sarnoff, went down to Washington to cut a deal with Congress. Congress would allow the fledgling networks free use of taxpayer-owned airwaves in exchange for one public service. That public service would be one hour of air time set aside every night for informational broadcasting, or what we now call the evening news. Congress, unable to anticipate the enormous capacity television would have to deliver consumers to advertisers, failed to include in its deal the one requirement that would have changed our national discourse immeasurably for the better. Congress forgot to add that under no circumstances could there be paid advertising during informational broadcasting. They forgot to say that taxpayers will give you the airwaves for free and for 23 hours a day you should make a profit, but for one hour a night you work for us. And now those network newscasts, anchored through history by honest-to-God newsmen with names like Murrow and Reasoner and Huntley and Brinkley and Buckley and Cronkite and Rather and Russert-- Now they have to compete with the likes of me. A cable anchor who's in the exact same business as the producers of Jersey Shore.

-Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels); The Newsroom, Season 1 Episode 3 “The 112th Congress”

MechanicalBengal t1_j6jwoyn wrote

What’s killing news is the ability for companies like Sinclair to buy as many stations as they want, with no guarantee they’re actually telling people the truth when they report “the news”

https://youtu.be/hWLjYJ4BzvI

conquer4 t1_j6i7u49 wrote

Except, airwaves are pretty much dead as a delivery format. And the writing was clearly on the wall back then (its one of the reasons they got rid of analog broadcasting years before that). It's through cable, and internet/cell, which is privately owned and invalidated the complete reasoning behind his argument.

Riguyepic t1_j6ki3v3 wrote

Me reading the whole thing not realizing it's a quote until "me"