Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Ragged_Town_ t1_j6nsvfd wrote

Well, it's never too late to start! John Wayne movies are a classic and a must-watch for any movie buff. Plus, his iconic cowboy looks and deep voice make for some great entertainment.

got_lukky t1_j6ocmpp wrote

This is a classic example of saying something isn’t valuable because it’s old. Try looking at the MCU in 80 years……..interchangeable, cookie cutter, culturally irrelevant and useless

ogrizzled t1_j6oolw4 wrote

Also a perfunctory, if not classic, example of cynical hyperbole, but is it even a shower thought?

sics2014 t1_j6nsx87 wrote

John Wayne movies make me nostalgic.

My grandparents were huge fan and there always seemed to be one of his movies on their old TV. Reminds me of visiting them and my grandmother smoking in the house.

deagh t1_j6pg5q5 wrote

Yeah, my mom was a huge John Wayne fan. Every time I see The Quiet Man (which is neither a cowboy movie nor a war movie, btw) it takes me back to my childhood.

Same with Elvis movies, as the local TV station of my childhood showed Elvis movies every Sunday. They're all pretty much the same movie, but it reminds me of my childhood.

American_PP t1_j6osoed wrote

I've only watched True Grit, Hondo, Rio Bravo, El Dorado, The Shootist, Rooster Cogburn, The Alamo, Hatari, Rio Lobo, Big Jake, Rio Grande, Red River, The Man Who Shot Liberty, The Longest Day, The Green Berets, The Conqueror, Fort Apache, Sands of Iwo Jima, North to Alaska, War Wagon, How the West was Won, Blood Alley, so yeah I've never seen a John Wayne movie and nothing he's ever done, which covered topics like the western frontier and world war 2 have any resonation with today's purple haired gender fluid censorship demanding generation.

thehumblebaboon t1_j6p0cxc wrote

Most people have also never watched a movie with Charlie Chaplin. It doesn’t make it less culturally significant.

I don’t know anyone personally who has watched gone with the wind, does that make that movie useless?

Whether you like it or not, John Wayne is a a huge part of American culture. His name is still widely known after all these years. Hell I’ve never seen a John Wayne movie, but I know his name.

Showerthoughts_Mod t1_j6nsnvj wrote

This is a friendly reminder to read our rules.

Remember, /r/Showerthoughts is for showerthoughts, not "thoughts had in the shower!"

(For an explanation of what a "showerthought" is, please read this page.)

Rule-breaking posts may result in bans.

SoloCongaLineChamp t1_j6op02z wrote

Ah, but have you seen The Conqueror? Where he plays Genghis MFin' Khan?!?!?

A1steaksauceTrekdog7 t1_j6ow7dc wrote

Most people who are younger than 50 probably have never seen a John Wayne movie. I’m about to be 40 this year and I never seen one of his movies

SadPandaLoves t1_j6p8fi8 wrote

This feels less like a shower thought and more like a retort you thought of 3 hours after losing an argument and I now need to know who won an argument with John Wayne?

TallDarkCancer1 t1_j6nvp4f wrote

Most younger people know he was a racist douche and have no desire to watch his movies.

−2