Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

urbanevol t1_j2knckz wrote

Stamford schools are not bad. Stamford is a large, diverse district with many students that have serious challenges due to poverty, immigration status, etc, as well as many students that are thriving. Are you talking to people with kids in the school system? The "schools are bad" narrative I hear mostly from people that sent their kids to private school and don't really know much about Stamford schools, or people who grew up here and think the schools are much worse than when they were kids (they are not, but they are much more diverse).

Magnet schools are simply public schools that are available through a lottery, and may have special programs and facilities. My daughter goes to one...it isn't really that much better than the non magnet options. There is a bit of a halo effect because not everyone is able to attend due to the lottery. The high schools have many excellent options if you are willing to look, e.g. IB program at Stamford high, state Agriscience program at Westhill, and others . There are a lot of different elementary schools.

ursohot123 t1_j3pcil8 wrote

Diversity is the problem….. u gotta share a class with someone who doesnt have the same knowledge or doesnt speak the same language, not as motivated as you, thinks schools a joke. Why do i wanna keep sharing class with people who dont care about it….. honestly home school or they have to find better options to start creating better private schools or private lessons around here