Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

davster39 OP t1_j7k8pyf wrote

Because it's a happy relic of the past that is still being made 100 years after the invention of the electric washing machine. 40% of their boards are used as instruments in jug, Bluegrass and other bands and music makes me happy.. Washboard remind me of my grandmother and that makes me happy. So, for me, it was an uplifting article.

MarcoMaroon t1_j7lc9p8 wrote

A washboard reminds me of being hella broke when my mom used to do a ton of painstakingly long washing by hand up until we finally got ourselves a washing machine.

I can see why it makes others happy, but not people like myself.

Sparrow2go t1_j7lp80k wrote

Ok, but that’s an incredibly granular and personal reason to post it here. “Petting kittens found to cure AIDS” is uplifting news because anybody reading it would see the positive angle. It’s cool that this gives you a good feeling but it doesn’t really fit the sub.

I don’t think calling washboards a happy relic from the past is very accurate. It’s a labor intensive tool.

jetstobrazil t1_j7ltml2 wrote

And people are buying them because they’re too broke to buy or repair a washing machine.

And there’s only one company making them until they create a profit margin large enough for amazon basics to start making their own.

furiousfran t1_j7pa2tl wrote

They're flying off the shelves because the "Live Laugh Love" crowd thinks they look good on a wall

Sparrow2go t1_j7m0gxu wrote

People needing to wash clothes by hand is bad.

Amazon is bad.

Neither of these are relevant to the conversation here though.

This isn’t a company providing some altruistic service for the sake of the poor, they are filling a void in the market to turn a profit that happens to help a portion of their customer base. It isn’t evil, people need to make a living, but it doesn’t fall under uplifting news.