Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

J_Tarrou t1_j838alx wrote

Arguing that only consumers should worry, not companies - yep, corporate grift.

Arguing that you have no personal responsibility, even when you consciously choose things that are bad for the environment - nope, you're just making excuses.

This isn't like when people have to drive because of where they live, and can't afford an electric car. I'm not aware of anyone who has to eat beef.

waffle_socks t1_j8441lq wrote

Thank you for saying this. Too often I see people parroting that line, ignoring that its a two sided problem. Supply and demand would have to decrease together. Consumers need alternative options, but companies wouldn't make money on unethical products if consumers force the issue. The alternative would often be regulating what is produced and sold and you won't ever pass legislation that, for example, outlaws farming and sale of beef. Tinfoil hat time: I think that industries simultaneously push the idea that consumers shouldn't be responsible at the same time as pushing the idea that companies shouldn't be responsible for change. That way, no one has to feel responsible and nothing ever changes.

GD_Bats t1_j839jz7 wrote

I’m going to point out that US raised and butchered beef is a thing- granted still not the greatest thing for the ecosystem, but the deforestation of the US is mostly a done deal at this point.

handsomehares t1_j84vlma wrote

The forests in the USA are actually at some of their largest since the old growth was cut down.

For what it’s worth.

We destroy the grasslands for beef, not the forests, here in the USA.

GD_Bats t1_j84yrqz wrote

Fair point, though I’d also cite replacing grasslands with lawns in there as a big part of the issue. Yes lawns are better for the ecosystem than paving it all over, but just barely

handsomehares t1_j8503sa wrote

Once upon a time out lawns were filled with clover and other pollinators and were actually fairly “good” for the local eco system.

Not so much any more :(