Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

lordofedging81 t1_j936zy7 wrote

Fuck Russia, and it's genocide against the Ukrainian people!

So many other kids will NOT have a happy ending like this, and will be raised by Russian versions of the Dursley's from Harry Potter.

dontpet t1_j938dul wrote

This uplifting news leaves me bitter. Ironically, it's also about uplifting by Russian troops.

semisolidwhale t1_j94lg8p wrote

There's only one uplifting that those Russian troops kidnapping children should be involved in and it has to do with them at the end of a rope

hamandjam t1_j94d7w0 wrote

Except that they've basically created thousands of enemies and stashed them within their own borders. Now the people who've stolen these children will have to sleep with one eye open for the rest of their lives. This will not end well for them.

Aystha t1_j95n4za wrote

The issue with that is that depending on their age they might just not even know! Trauma it's also a big memory eraser. I say this as a latinamerican, in my country under dictatorship children were stolen from their mothers in captivity and then sold to rich folk or military families. Most don't even know. It's also a complex issue, if those children are then rehomed, whether we like it or not, they'll be raised by someone else, bad or good guardian, they'll soak up the culture, the hate for Russia or the propaganda of it depending on the caretaker. It's incredibly fickle.

And I don't believe the russian institutions behind these would be careful enough to place them all in highly "trusted" homes either so.

What will probably happen in the end it's that you'll end up with a bunch of, knowingly or not, unwilling diaspora kids with a similar but not close enough culture.

hamandjam t1_j96z7s6 wrote

I think that the majority of them will likely just be absorbed into Russian society and many will lose or block memories of Ukraine. But I also think that there will be a non-zero number that will remember everything. And they'll have no way of knowing which is which.

teenypanini t1_j93gxwk wrote

But they need them for cannon fodder when they are older! Totally justified! (/s just in case)

CHEEZOR t1_j96nhod wrote

This is probably as happy of an ending as you can get for these kids, but I don't think the reality will be that happy for them. Most will probably have deep psychological issues stemming from this traumatic experience that could last the rest of their lives. I didn't read the article, but I would guess that it's entirely possible that some of the parents are no longer with us. It's good news, but bittersweet.

[deleted] t1_j96zrwh wrote

[removed]

−8

MildlySpastic t1_j980jj8 wrote

GTFO with that pro-Russian propaganda. The 14k deaths were reported to be casualties of the Donbas War, casualties caused by BOTH sides of the war and that Putin keeps using as an excuse to invade Ukraine. And if you keep saying that "no western media told you about this cuz muh conspiracy" just Google "14000 russian killed in ukraine" and you'll see that the first link is from the Iran gov site, which refutes your biased comment.