Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

alexr_tk t1_j9v2c7p wrote

We probably shouldn't have built an orphan-crushing machine in the first place eh.

ZBottPrime t1_ja3pc2r wrote

We do know two things now: It can be retooled easily into the elder crushing machine, and child labor can defeat it. Just don't ask who is building it or why.

FireBrentVenables t1_j9x7cec wrote

I love all the myopic enlightened redditors who comment this while ignoring the janitor who just Got a small fortune and are frothing at the mouth because he came out of retirement.

What would you like, for him to deny the money?

−54

BoringWebDev t1_j9xba4a wrote

We'd like an end to the exploitative economy that forces the elderly out of retirement.

FireBrentVenables t1_j9xcdyi wrote

I wish we could end world hunger but I’m not gonna get pissed when the local restaurant offers free meals to homeless people. reality doesn’t usually match up with what we want.

Is receiving $250k a bad thing?

−43

jabberwockgee t1_j9xdsqo wrote

You keep acting like having to come out of retirement should be the default unless altruism vanquishes shitty reality.

Maybe we should change the default to not having to go back to work at 80.

FireBrentVenables t1_j9ylfeh wrote

Yeah maybe we should do a lot of awesome things but until that’s the reality we can take some small victories here and there.

−11

BoringWebDev t1_j9y1gi4 wrote

People getting shitty would be actually being mad at the kids raising the money or the man accepting it. They are mad at the reality of the situation. Just because you don't like when people acknowledge reality when feel good stories like this are posted doesn't mean those people are being shitty.

FireBrentVenables t1_j9yluzp wrote

It’s the same boring sophomoric observation made by equally boring and vapid people. No shit working at 80 sucks, what does that have to do with this man getting a quarter million dollars in response?

Here’s a news flash for you: nobody forces a fucking 80 year old to do anything, if he really didn’t want to work he would’ve said so.

−2

petertotheolson t1_j9yo7yr wrote

Yes I suppose he has the right to starve in his home when the money runs out

FireBrentVenables t1_j9yrihi wrote

Looks like he just got a small fortune gifted to him, but don’t let that get in the way of your surface level critique of society. You’re really changing the way you and everyone else repeat the same quips over and over.

petertotheolson t1_j9z3eo6 wrote

The point is he shouldn’t have to rely on the generosity of children. He worked his whole life, retired, and the system fucked him over. It’s not that hard to say we live in a terrible economic system if it values a number over the livelihoods of millions of people

FireBrentVenables t1_j9zguja wrote

Cool, so what did your comment echoing the same shit as everyone else change? Nothing? I bet that 250k changed a lot for him though.