Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

drippy_candles t1_jb09749 wrote

Sorry to say this, but that's so incredibly naive. It's reported that China is responsible for 25% of the entire world's illegal fishing. They've been caught fishing within the Galapagos Islands - you don't need the UN to tell you not to do that. And they're known to constantly turn off their tracking devices right before entering illegal waters (over many many places in the world). So yea they'll just continue to tell you what you want to hear and then not comply.

alphahydra t1_jb0a8fd wrote

I didn't say I think they'll stop illegally fishing. If anything, this is so they can continue to illegally fish in other countries' waters. Can't illegally fish if there's no fish.

hgs25 t1_jb0dita wrote

And the rest of the time, they fish just outside of the waters with military enforcement. It’s a game of “I’m not touching you” like poachers do in Africa when they draw lions out of sanctuaries with bait.

Helkafen1 t1_jb0ltfu wrote

25% isn't too surprising, for a country that has one fifth of global population and has relatively poor arable soil.

−1

drippy_candles t1_jb2n8k1 wrote

I'm not sure if you're justifying this, but it seems like it. It's illegal fishing. They also have 17% of the world's population. So they're fishing 33% more than their population. Are they also able to just take 25% of whatever they want?

Helkafen1 t1_jb2qtcm wrote

I'm just reminding people to have a bit of perspective and read the news with calm. A lot of news about China elicit a strong "yellow peril" vibe.

A more interesting take on this topic could be the following: Yes, illegal fishing and overfishing are a global problem, so what are we doing to solve it? A pragmatic answer could be: let's not eat so much fish.