Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

crystaltuka t1_jbiit9t wrote

I think I will spend one of my small vacation funds in Michigan this year.

I am in Wisconsin and am planning on two short but close little vacations, one in spring and one in fall.

warheadmikey t1_jbijrkc wrote

A little bit of everything here in Michigan. Got the top rated campground and art museum in the country. Tulip festival is nice

Divo366 t1_jbjbi54 wrote

I was born and raised near Rochester, New York, and every Spring/Summer they had a Lilac Festival, and it was awesome!!

It was a fun, hippie-ish music festival (I remember seeing Jack Johnson perform there before he got mildly successful!), all in the middle of high trees, and walls of gorgeous, pink/purple lilacs. And the smell throughout the whole area was so incredibly amazing, it's hard to describe.

Ha, TL:DR - If you ever get a chance to go to a 'Festival' named after a flower or tree, definitely go!

warheadmikey t1_jbmig9m wrote

That’s on Mackinaw Island. Remember staying the night on the island for lilac festival. Looks and smells amazing

shadowshark89 t1_jbiqg3c wrote

Depending on what you like there's sleeping bear dunes, pictured rocks, Tahquamenon falls, Cherry festival (wine tour near there as well), The art & science museums, mackinaw island. Also plenty of roadside parks you can stop at while you drive. I don't tend to vacation too much outside of my state, especially since we've been on a bit of an upswing lately.

DespressoCafe t1_jbjnls6 wrote

I second that notion on Sleeping Bear. Just...Northern Michigan in general is beautiful. If you like camping it's like heaven.

The_Rube_ t1_jbimix4 wrote

Detroit and Grand Rapids both have vibrant downtowns with nightlife and cultural amenities. Traverse City and Marquette are great for the small lakefront tourism town vibe. Check out Sleeping Bear Dunes, Pictured Rocks, Mackinac Island.. and grab some legal weed before you head home.

Special_Tay t1_jbilkkf wrote

Marquette is a lovely city. Definitely worth a visit.

Michaeleon t1_jbj479d wrote

If in Grand Rapids, check out the Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park. It’s wonderful! Pictured Rocks in the Upper Peninsula is breathtaking.

SVXfiles t1_jbj3c0m wrote

One in Michigan and one here in Minnesota? If the density of people isn't an issue we do have MoA with, I'm pretty sure, a giant Lego store in it. The RenFest is usually around into October atleast too and while it has had better years is still really fun to go to

crystaltuka t1_jbjerlv wrote

That is a great idea!

Edit: So got off work and am now home. I love that idea. RenFest sounds extra fun so that will be a great fall trip, and I will do Michigan this spring! I am not sure what I will do in Michigan but everyone has tossed out so many GREAT ideas I will have to look them up and decide. Thank you everyone! And if you do have suggestions, please keep tossing them on here, I love it

HippieMcGee t1_jbjhrvq wrote

Same here, planning a couple small visits from Ohio. I'm hoping Michigan keeps up this momentum and doesn't backslide into the red, because it's looking like an appealing and safe place to move after I finish grad school.

Potatoskins937492 t1_jbl3ua5 wrote

Just remember there are only a few places in Michigan (like other Midwest states) that actually would have gotten this through. If you visit outside those areas, you aren't supporting the people who have made sure this was passed. A lot of people forget when they travel they're supporting the politics of where they travel to because they're investing in their economy, not just the overall state economy. We're both from the Midwest and given you look like you support this and I do as well, we need to be mindful of how we show our support to different cities in the states around us (because we know there's a lot of red surrounding blue) so we have to make sure we're putting our money where our mouths are.

crystaltuka t1_jbmbtto wrote

Thank you. I will look up trying to find specific areas and businesses that supported the legislature. I know not all people even in blue areas support these kinds of ideals but it is worth the effort to me.

dishwab t1_jbjkkru wrote

Come to Detroit for Memorial Day weekend, you’re guaranteed to have a good time - and it will be a lot different than Wisconsin that I can promise you!

That_Shrub t1_jbjp98x wrote

Take the carferry to Ludington it's a cool trip

Can catch it in that town from Making a Murderer