Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

FragWall OP t1_jcevn8o wrote

And it's impossible to do that in the current plurality system due to the lack of compromises and coalitions between the two major parties. Which is why America should switch to multiparty democracy with proportional representation. It's vastly superior to the current plurality system.

−2

chemicalrefugee t1_jcq5i7e wrote

> . due to the lack of compromises

I moved to Australia from the USA over 20 years ago. We do have some similar issues with entrenched corruption and people who will say anything to get a few conservative swing votes.

That said, although we do have 2 major parties we do not have the electoral process or first to the post voting. That means that you really can vote for the person who you want in office (perhaps an independent or a small party politician that you like) without throwing your vote away. If your favorite candidate doesn't get in then your vote just moves on to support the next candidate (or party) you listed (and so on). This lets you list a major party as the last 'acceptable' person in your list (a compromise candidate like Biden) before you put down all the people you absolutely hate (with the least reprehensible first, and the one you hate the most listed last).

There are no votes thrown away.

FragWall OP t1_jcyf1i5 wrote

If you don't know, there's the Fair Representation Act bill, which comes with STV and multi-member districts. This article shows that when the two combined, it will dramatically blunts gerrymandering.

Electrical-Bed8577 t1_jcrlgs1 wrote

America is a larger chimera. We have had more than two parties in our history. Our coalitions do not coalesce. I definitely agree that we need proportional representation, with more congressional representation in each state. It needs to be done without 'watering down the vote'.

To add, we also need a better census system, counting domestic and field worker and those without stable housing, including licensing and inspecting rental houses. This can be done mostly remotely, with local documentation forwarded up to each state and the Federal gov.