Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Lesas t1_jdbqqbi wrote

I've had to recently read into CCS systems for Uni and the most common issue i read about with most systems is 1. Whether they're actually able to reduce and store CO2 long term effectively and 2. The amount of energy required to do so (and how much CO2 is needed to produce that energy)

Also without any monetary incentive it is unlikely for someone to build a factory like that, the price for emissions needs to be high enough for it to make sense to build a facility that reduces it (or there needs to be another advantage)

But yes, considering that after Energy and Transportation the Cement industry is one of the leading emitters on a global scale this could be an interesting development

gobblox38 t1_jdddk09 wrote

I remember hearing that a gas powerplant would have to consume a quarter of the power produced just to capture the carbon gasses. Then the gas would have to be transported to the injection site. I think the best possible scenario, that the injection site is right by the powerplant, the net capture would be about 60%.