Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Massive-Science5568 t1_jd9tl6a wrote

Mr piiiiiickleeeeesssss

Dotman-X t1_jda02cz wrote

SUCH A GOOD BOYYYYYYYYYYYY!

jezra t1_jd8w5sb wrote

The births are a "big dill," says the zoo, because the radiated tortoise, native to Madagascar, is a critically endangered species whose numbers are in decline.

Will the babies be shipped to Madagascar or will they live out their lives behind bars at a zoo?

hangryhyax t1_jda2rtb wrote

I get the criticism of zoos, but it’s worth noting that they’re not all bad. In this instance, the tortoises are critically endangered due to the illegal pet trade, so putting them back out in the wild is most likely a death sentence for them, or they’ll end up in the pet trade where they won’t be able to be a part of reproduction/repopulation efforts.

There’s also this:

> A portion of each Zoo membership and admission goes toward helping the Zoo’s partners in Madagascar replant wildlife habitat to save animals in the wild.

From the zoo’s site.

Having animals in captivity purely for entertainment/profit is objectively bad. Having them in captivity because they’d otherwise be extinct (at the hands of people) is less bad.

ElementalWheel t1_jdc0deh wrote

A lot of zoos house animals that are being rehabilitated or any be released into the wild too!

The New York aquarium takes in exotic animals found from people either surrendering their animals, animal farm seizures, or just people chucking exotic pets into the ocean off Cony Island and being found/discovered

Wandering_Scholar6 t1_jddouyv wrote

Also tortoises can generally be kept relatively well in captivity. Simple enrichment and a decent habitat are all they need to thrive.

hangryhyax t1_jdgb3sl wrote

Yep! While reading about these ones, I saw that their lifespan in the wild is usually 40-50 years; Mr. & Mrs. Pickles have both not only exceeded that, but they’re still procreating!

Wandering_Scholar6 t1_jdhleio wrote

Is that the average or median or the average of those that live past 1 years or so?

Turtles and tortoises often have low survival rates for the first several years then, if they survive past the cut-off age, they mostly live to be really old. But that can really skew the math on lifespan.

But also yes, if they are thriving past their lifespan in captivity that's a good sign that they can be kept well in captivity.

It can actually become a problem in Zoos because at some point many of your animals are geriatric (because good care and medical attention). Geriatric animals require more care and may not necessarily be the best exhibit animals.

pzzia02 t1_jdbcpop wrote

If theyre critically endangered and if they fair well at the zoo i hope they stay there so their populations go up

Rubberbandballgirl t1_jdcbvv0 wrote

The Houston Zoo is a nice zoo. They do a lot of work on animal rehabilitation and preservation. At one point their Lion was an animal that had once been some lady’s pet and was declawed. Should they have have sent him back into the wild?

The tortoises are actually getting a new exhibit next month. They’re my favorites so I’ve really been looking forward to seeing it.

cyanraichu t1_jdcjt5z wrote

Hopefully they will be bred to make more radiated tortoises. Releasing three into the wild isn't going to solve their endangerment; you have to have a robust breeding program and also address the conditions that made them endangered in the first place which in this case sounds like poaching.

bucket_brigade t1_jdcekb1 wrote

Why would you ship endangered species to a place that endangered them?

Otonyac t1_jdaun9h wrote

Amazing. Hopefully Mr. Pickles is just the tip of the spear for this species as he continues the ties that brined.

AmerisaurausRex t1_jdb4h2h wrote

If they don’t name one of them Dylan they missed their opportunity.

Insighteternal t1_jdavtlb wrote

Will one of them be named……….PICKLE RICK?!?!?!?

IAmTheClayman t1_jdbx5yk wrote

That pun in the headline made me half sour

RanCestor t1_jdc7kyu wrote

Mr my biological clock goes up to 111

AutoModerator t1_jd8u2qd wrote

Reminder: this subreddit is meant to be a place free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome here.

All Negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Lilyetter t1_jdbecve wrote

That sandwich shop serves fire sandwiches

cyanraichu t1_jdcjxpo wrote

Okay, how cute are they. Look at the tiny shell and the tiny claws!

Hopefully they'll also all grow into parent tortoises one day.