Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

VivaciousVictini t1_iqn5uid wrote

How is this uplifting?

Deelaxation t1_iqnp1ys wrote

Bugs are significantly easier and less costly to raise, produce significantly more biomass in a much shorter time, and are supposedly a much more nutritious food source than many other meats. So this would be a huge step towards demolishing the cattle industry if people can get past "eww it's bugs"

VivaciousVictini t1_iqnwt9x wrote

Chief you can never get past peoples psychology, without 1 of 2 reasons, either 1, lie to them so they accidentally delude themselves, or 2, have them be in a desperate enough situation where things like 'mosquito burgers' are perfectly acceptable.

And look I know there are more bugs in our food than most are aware, the cockroach legs in chocolate, the dead wasps in fig newtons, shit like that.

Deelaxation t1_iqobpe8 wrote

I agree but there are definitely a lot of people already desperate enough for a mosquito burger plus there are a lot of places where bugs aren't weird eat so it'll catch on those places first and then more people will start trying it til eventually it becomes less of a weird thing to eat. Crustaceans are basically big ass water bugs that a lot of people love eating, myself included.

VivaciousVictini t1_iqoi199 wrote

Yeah, but it's all in the psychology of how someone is raised, we aren't raised being told the crustaceans are giant bugs.

The reality is that, we probably aren't ever gonna have anyone in the US really get into eating bugs in this generation, it would take the next one presuming they're not raised in the exact same fashion to mark a change.