Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

YellowWizard99 t1_irsyfeq wrote

This actually sounds effective. Rather than just creating new taxes and hoping that helps.

Wandering_Mobiler OP t1_irszi6v wrote

I know! I have no idea what is going on in my city, but for some reason we seem to be having, since I can remember, a semi-working government that is actually trying to do stuff.

They are also planning on building 3 new metro lines and a train to combat traffic, which is something I never thought they would ever address, let alone actively plan on combatting.

SilverNicktail t1_irt43l6 wrote

Wow, congrats. Seeing progress after years of stalemate is always super satisfying. Hope it continues for you.

Up here in Vancouver we're continuing to expand the transit system (which to be fair is actually a pretty good transit system), but the city design is still extremely car-centric. It's starting to change in some districts, though, with the city experimenting with replacing sidewalks to aid with water retention and stop the risk of flooding.

Wandering_Mobiler OP t1_irt4xca wrote

It's funny since my city (Monterrey) is often made fun of for being "Americanized" and being car-centric, but we have almost 6 million people yet have the same Urban Sprawl as Austin, which has less than half our population.

A comment that stuck with me was that we are doing poorly in walkability, my city is still much closer to Paris or Amsterdam than to Los Angeles or most cities in America.

FragWall t1_irvo3xu wrote

That's great! Best wishes to you and your country.

epelle9 t1_irt69qz wrote

As someone from Monterrey, what we actually need is increasing taxes depending on how much a company pollutes.

They allow corporations to pollute as much as possible, and then spend tax dollars on green spaces when we don’t have enough water to maintain them.

Last dry season people were having their water cut for multiples days at a time. With our water shortages, all this means is next year we’ll be giving water to plants instead of giving it to people.

We need accountability from companies that pollute freely and not just surface level solutions that waste valuable resources barely treating the symptoms.

Wandering_Mobiler OP t1_irt917k wrote

Isn’t agriculture the main source of water waste?

epelle9 t1_irt98om wrote

Yeah, we need accountability for our agricultural water waste too.