Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

plowman_digearth t1_isojjl0 wrote

Err the report does state that 2/3rd of the 415 Mn people moved out of poverty until the right wing government took charge. If this report is to be believed - the current government is doing a worse job in poverty alleviation than their Uber left predecessors

-Not-Racist- t1_isoo1t4 wrote

Anyone who says UPA was left needs to be locked up in a mental asylum

plowman_digearth t1_isoq4y9 wrote

They were left of center or neolib. However you want to qualify that.

−2

-Not-Racist- t1_isor1j9 wrote

Lol no, right wing just different religion. Economic policy is really the same for both. Parties actually protest against things they had in their manifesto , whoever is in opposition at the time talks about workers and poverty. Concept of left wing right wing doesn't really apply, local politicians are the same just keep switching parties to whoever pays more

plowman_digearth t1_isortyr wrote

No. I think what made UPA decidedly left is the big bets they took on social welfare schemes like MNREGA. Every trickle down loving libertarian uncle I knew was up in arms over it. They also tackled international diplomacy very sensibly by diffusing most tensions with China and Pakistan and balancing the NATO countries with Russia.

Their expansion of the public sector and strengthening of state institutions was also a very left leaning move. The whole UPI/Aadhar/Rupay thing which the current govt takes credit for - was conceived and initiated by UPA.

-Not-Racist- t1_isotbdo wrote

The public sector hasn't seen expansion since 1991, when liberalisation and privatisation were accepted in India post the fall of Soviet Union.

The current Government literally gives everyone 8KG food grains and cooking oil for free. Get a ration card , stand in the line and you can get it too. Tons of new social schemes like interest free loans to small businesses. Plus even added EWS to reservation. People want to be mad at BJP but can't because well religion.

Only difference between the two parties is social stance. Both equally don't give a fuck about development. Congress was unbelievably corrupt and just embezzled the money. BJP spends the money on advertisement PR and temples, which a lot of the voters actually like.

LuckyNumber-Bot t1_isojki4 wrote

All the numbers in your comment added up to 420. Congrats!

+ 3
+ 415
= 420

^(Click here to have me scan all your future comments.)
^(Summon me on specific comments with u/LuckyNumber-Bot.)

ipostsmaller t1_ispixsq wrote

Left wing in power for 50+ years, right wing in power for ~12 years๐Ÿ‘๏ธ๐Ÿ‘„๐Ÿ‘๏ธ

Alkans_bookshelf t1_isol52v wrote

The comment I made was mainly critiquing the tendency for progressives to think everything is worse than its ever been, and that their is no social or economic progress anywhere.

−3