Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

AllHighAustin t1_iu0qi7f wrote

What kind of weirdo hates somebody for their haircut? Weird world were living in.

calibared t1_iu15b9d wrote

People will find anything to discriminate against a certain group of people they hate. For black americans, their hair was targeted and still is today. All reasons are utter bullshit. I’ve heard school faculty call it “distracting” and “unprofessional” back in my day and of course, those faculty were old white people.

CopiumAddiction t1_iu11idh wrote

It's always been the case. Its about thinking it's "unprofessional". I work at a highschool and an administrator made a black girl shave her dreadlocks off like a decade ago.

Hair discrimination is really really common.

TyphoidMira t1_iu1d14n wrote

Natural Black hairstyles were prohibited by regulation in the US military until a few years ago. They didn't say the words natural Black hairstyles, but there were rules around hair bulk /volume and "dreadlocks" that made natural styles against the rules

OSRSTheRicer t1_iu2e67j wrote

Back in high school, administrators would regularly harass some of the African American students because their hair was 'unkept' or 'dirty'. Going as far as to suspend some for refusing to cut it or straighten their dreads.

fuzzyfuzz t1_iuiulln wrote

The sign said long haired freaky people need not apply.