Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

crinnaursa t1_iu18lur wrote

I'm not trying to bring down what this guy did. I just think that This is being portrayed as a feel-good story but really is an indictment of abusive and exploitative practices of labor in this country. There are dangerous and exhausting and inflexible jobs being worked all over the country and working parents are trying the best to get time to be with their families. The fact this guy had to do this isn't noble in so much that it's shitty that society doesn't expect this kind of thing as feasible.

gameartist3d t1_iu1hi0q wrote

It's a feel good story because the coach took his position and used it to get this guy noticed and recognized AND invited him out to another game. It's an uplifting story because in a shitty situation someone said "hey man! I notice you" to someone who deserved it. Boyo

TheBlackWolph t1_iu1dneq wrote

That’s fair enough, but there’s no support or complacency about the current labour industry in this post. It’s just some guy who has a hard labour intensive job got noticed/appreciated and a good thing is happening for him.

Though potentially unintended, your comment (at least to me) came off as though you don’t see how this coal miner likely has one of the hardest jobs out of the people there, and he still put in the extra effort to rush to this game with his son. You focused on “why is he getting special treatment” which somewhat misses the point.