Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

KailTheDryad t1_iul19uk wrote

This proves that we can. I know it’s been said before, but if we work together we can genuinely heal our planet. I just wish more people understood what that meant.

Mind43dom t1_iulpcf2 wrote

You see over 20years we banned CFCs and pretty much the entire planet agreed with no fuss.

We can’t even convince 50% of western nations that climate change is caused by humans.

sock_puppet0 t1_iulwku4 wrote

The big thing is the climate crisis probably won't be solved until Millenials hit their late 80s.

I've talked to my grandparents and my parents and to them the hole in the O-zone seemed insurmountable. It felt like it would never be fixed and that it was already too late.

With global warming it's going to be the same, probably, when we first learned about it, the challenge seemed truly impossible. But here we are, already seeing results.

These are not issues that can be fixed with one switch or with one grand solution.

They take decades of research, hard work, and sheer fucking will to overcome. And if there is one thing humanity has proven again and again, it's that we are amazingly stubborn about not dying.

RectalSpawn t1_iupoy1f wrote

Is climate change reversable?

It's my understanding that it happens naturally, and we've mostly only increased the rate of change.

da2Pakaveli t1_ium9m6k wrote

The current damage done is more or less irreversible (earth will adapt eventually on its own but iirc that’ll take quite some time), so we’ll have to deal with increased flooding, extreme heatwaves, increased frequency of higher category storms etc.
It’s incredibly important that we all adapt to a sustainable lifestyle, science already has the answers but too many expect from science that they find methods to keep on living the unsustainable way of life.
We as society need to come together but imo most importantly always listen to science.
There’ve been mentions of a human-made climate change 140 years ago. All the failed construction projects where they didn’t listen to geologists…etc.
Much can be avoided by listening to science.