Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

H0lyW4ter t1_ivy9enk wrote

No need to be offensive. I'm just stating the problematic trend of increasing CO2 emissions given the fact that India is the 3rd most polluting country a year already

But good on them to apply more sustainable sources though. Hopefully they can turn the trend downwards just like the US and EU.

HungryHungryHippoes9 t1_ivycv61 wrote

I am the one being offensive? Dude you are the one shitting on progress when India is literally one of the lowest per capita emitters in the world. The US and the the rest of the developed world emit a disproportionate amount of CO2, all after fucking up the planet for centuries and consolidating their wealth, and then have the audacity to talk shit about India and China, both of whom are leagues behind them in terms of quality of life. Let's not even consider the fact that the amount of investment that India has made into renewables is disproportionately higher than the investments made by the US when you compare their economies. So you with bigger economies and smaller populations, still do less than India to save the planet and then shit on India when it tries to bring bare minimum resources to its people.

H0lyW4ter t1_ivylczi wrote

>India is literally one of the lowest per capita emitters in the world.

Irrelevant. Total amount of emissions is what matters. Because that is what India has agreed upon: a 45% emission reduction below 2005 level by 2030 according to the Paris Climate Agreement.

So my point still stands and India isn't progressing towards that goal whatsoever. It is still increasing emissions in relation to the historical 2005 emissions.

Source: https://climateactiontracker.org/countries/india/

> India’s first NDC has three main elements:

> * An emissions-intensity target of 45% below 2005 levels by 2030;

> * A target of achieving 50% cumulative electric power installed capacity from non-fossil fuel-based energy resources by 2030; and

> * Creation of a carbon sink of 2.5 to 3 GtCO2e through additional forest and tree cover by 2030.

−1

Psychological_Try364 t1_ivzgrvk wrote

If I remember correctly, India updated its goal in COP26 in Glasgow to 45% emissions.

Sources and media have also stated that India will not only achieve this goal by 2030 but overachieve it.

https://climateactiontracker.org/documents/1094/CAT_2022-11-10_GlobalUpdate_COP27.pdf

It is still not enough for the 1.5 degree mark sure, but India is improving its targets and will achieve it.

Edit: Secondly, how is emissions per capita irrelevant? India has to tend to its people's needs does it not? All of its people. You can definitely argue that its population is a problem, but saying emissions per capita is irrelevant is simply wrong

H0lyW4ter t1_iw1sd7m wrote

> India’s first NDC has three main elements:

> • An emissions-intensity target of 45% below 2005 levels by 2030;

> Current status in relation to climate goals: highly insufficient

It is literally in big letter on the first page of the website.

Psychological_Try364 t1_iw1ud7d wrote

I agree with it being insufficient, however, seeing as how India updated and set a higher target right now, I am sure it will realize and set another higher target in the future.

Besides, your point wasn't about it being insufficient, your point was about it being uncompleted, which btw, would be much worse because something is still better than nothing.

H0lyW4ter t1_iw1ww8m wrote

Higher target? I thought they wanted off the original target and now their goal is not focusing on just 1.5c global temp increase, but 4c global temp increase.

Psychological_Try364 t1_iw3tw50 wrote

Their original target were lower, they raised it. Still not much of help, but still it is better. As for the 4 degree increase. I have not heard anything about a 4 degree increase. In COP26, several members said that 1.5 degree dream was alive, barely.

Realistcally speaking, 1.5 degrees would not be possible, it would be 2 or even 2.5 degrees, however, I dont think it would be such a drastic increase (4 degrees).