Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Weaselpiggy t1_iweifoi wrote

Didn’t Salt Lake City have a pretty progressive housing first policy a while back?

jhystad t1_iweiqpx wrote

It was and is the first of its kind. Many cities have used there paradigm as a model to combat homelessness in other cities.

Weaselpiggy t1_iwejant wrote

Yeah I am just doing a little reading on it and it sounds awesome. I hope the program continues and we can see data to support this humane policy. Reductions in hospitalizations, reductions in emergency service utilizations, I bet it’s fiscally better to house people even with the high costs of the program.

jhystad t1_iwejpdv wrote

Apparently, it's 1/2 the cost to house the homeless and offer them programs for addiction and mental health issues than ending up in hospital and jail where most eventually end up.

lastdiggmigrant t1_iwg5y5n wrote

Sure, it was great, right up until Operation Rio Grande which just criminalized being homeless. After that, everything changed for the worse. The treatment of unhoused peoples in Salt Lake City is abhorrent. I am cautiously optimistic about this Tiny house vision, but what I have seen provokes serious skepticism.

Tenter5 t1_iwi3sut wrote

Don’t let slc fool you, they are pretty bad to homeless.