Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jabberwockgee t1_ix0xhnc wrote

So it's an opinion and not arguable.

4% is huge. But to you, it's next to nothing.

Why not introduce more bad habits and have famous people promote them?

If the total burden to the healthcare system is 4% or less, it's A-OK.

What a bizarre argument.

KarateKid72 t1_ix19ns1 wrote

It’s a straw man argument. He’s been making several of those already, like the alcohol argument.

What we can anticipate is increased costs as obesity increases as a percentage of the population. Things like joint replacements. Cancers. Respiratory and circulatory issues. Not surprisingly, it’s also a strong indicator of economic disparity in this country.

What I’m surprised we haven’t heard is some sort of BS about the metabolically healthy obese individual. I hear that a lot in body positivity groups, despite research to the contrary.

srkad t1_ix0yen0 wrote

4% is huge? Lmao alright bro whatever you say. Keep raising your blood pressure over what strangers put in their mouth.

tim-405 t1_ix1tute wrote

Honestly can’t believe how one can claim that 4% is insignificant when talking about the equivalent 173 billion dollars it represent. First off all 4% is not insignificant by any definition of that word but you probably wouldn’t know that. Nor is 173 billion, there are literally countries worth less, by ANY definition it is a huge amount. You’re probably trolling but damn what a braindead comments. Imagine thinking 4% is insignificant and repeating it multiple times with such confidence.

[deleted] t1_ix1wxo3 wrote

[removed]

−1

tim-405 t1_ix20j88 wrote

>It’s insignificant in context but I know context is probably extremelyhard for you to understand. When I say “someone being obese has noeffect on you” and someone replies “yes it does, it makes my insurancepremiums more expensive because of fat people’s cost on the healthcaresystem.” That 4% IS insignificant.

It literally isn't as proven 10 times in this thread, the 173 billion dollars required to pay for it doesn't just fall out of the sky? That has to be paid by taxes or personal contribution, either way it HAS to be paid someway which means I will either way foot the bill either by inflation or (in)direct contribution. That is indisputable. You can make all kinds of mental gymnastics or share your invalid opinions but the fact still is that it cost money and affects our economy (meaning it isn't insignificant) as literally said by the cdc themselves; https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/about-obesity/why-it-matters.html. It is beyond me how you cannot fathom that increased healthcare needs does result in extra cost for (healthy) people but maybe that is to much to ask from an average redditor.

jabberwockgee t1_ix1uoa5 wrote

What percentage of the total healthcare spending does a single health issue need to take up before it's a 'big problem' according to you?

50%? (aka no health issue is a problem since none take up 50%)

25%? (aka 1 or 2?)

20? (maybe 3?)

15? (4? 5?)

10? (maybe 6 health issues total?)

Like I'm not sure if you just don't understand percentages or what...

4% is a big percentage, especially for something that's preventable via a person's life choices.

srkad t1_ix1x7jb wrote

The claim was that fat people make health insurance more expensive. So yes it would have to be much more than 4% of health related costs for me to consider it significant enough to make an impact on how much you pay for health insurance. You can keep trying to change what this argument has been about all you want though.

−1

jabberwockgee t1_ix224ku wrote

So you don't consider 4% a big enough increase. We get it, we get it.

What would be a big enough increase?

I just think you are trying to justify letting obesity run rampant regardless of costs and using weasel words to prevent an actual discussion about it.

You think 4% isn't a big increase but then say it's not actually increasing costs at all, which is just lies.

So disregarding the fact that you refuse to have an honest discussion, what percentage increase would make you think twice about celebrities endorsing obesity as a healthy lifestyle?

Like 50%?