Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_iylbh54 wrote

[removed]

n8_mop t1_iyldn1h wrote

To be fair, our zoo and art museum are unreasonably good.

-Goo77Tube- t1_iym8hlq wrote

As a former Toledoan, I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, if anyone asked me what I liked about Toledo, my response was typically those two things and the metro parks. Not much else going for it, but goddamn the museum and the glass pavilion are world class.

Jfurmanek t1_iynqht5 wrote

Northern Ohio has amazing parks systems in general. Lake, Geauga, and Cuyahoga counties all have substantial metro parks holdings.

n8_mop t1_iyutskn wrote

The metro parks are high tier parks, but I wouldn’t recommend them as a selling point for visitors. If someone is moving to the area though, they are a stellar amenity. It’s always blown my mind that the sand dunes at Oak Openings are an endemic ecosystem.

round_a_squared t1_iyowcqp wrote

I'm about equally far from both the Toledo and Detroit zoos, and for a while the Toledo Zoo was arguably better.

Allmightydohllah t1_iyldpp8 wrote

True, but that's because they're the only thing the city has going for it.

−9

eatenbysquirrel t1_iylxrs7 wrote

Kinda weird to express it that way. They are good because they are ran by competent people i think. Not because the town just chose those two things to excel at.

But anyway, yay polar bears! Can't wait to see em in Spring time

mezzyjessie t1_iylzwyp wrote

Old school Packos… RIP. I am not a fan of the McDonald’s version they rolled out a few years back. Yes I know the OG is still there, but it’s not the same.

Perry87 t1_iym5182 wrote

Not even the best dogs in town

Fight me

mezzyjessie t1_iym83jf wrote

Rudy’s, Central, Jan’s or Mud Hen’s? I would love to hear what your favorites are! We’re always looking for better places.

Perry87 t1_iym8ieg wrote

I grew up in Birmingham but whenever the family went for hotdogs we'd get Rudy's and they're my go to when I'm in town and looking for a quick lunch. I haven't had Jan's or dogs from 53rd

There was a place by Lee Williams on Starr that had good hotdogs but they're not open anymore. I think it was called Pete's

NWOMrs t1_iymuu8i wrote

Yes, it was called Pete’s and it was the absolute best!

TheFlyingBoard t1_iymxuwp wrote

Petes was absolutely fucking amazing. I used to go there all the time with my great grandfather before he passed. I was heartbroken when i heard that they shut down

jedidoesit t1_iylkuy3 wrote

Literally right above your comment is the subreddit rules outline that says this place should be free of excessive cynicism, negativity and bitterness. Toxic attitudes are not welcome.

Then, in large, bold font, it says all negative comments will be removed and will possibly result in a ban.

I read the warning for the first time being in this subreddit and the very second comment I read violates that rule like Ye's inner thoughts violate our ears when he speaks.

Hilarious! 🤭😁😂

Tommyblockhead20 t1_iyli5zj wrote

Cheap housing! It’s like a fifth the cost of major costal cities. Sure, Toledo (and Ohio in general) is more boring, but I’d rather be complaining about the lack of things to do than about downing in debt as so many are these days.

super1701 t1_iyly83w wrote

"cheap" If you live in Toledo, but who the fuck wants that. The outside burbs are all 150k+ for a decent house.

−5

Allmightydohllah t1_iylj4ar wrote

I lived in toledo all my life up until I moved to the Bay Area. The reason it's so cheap is because there is no work there unless you know somebody who blows somebody who can hook you up with a job. They don't call it the rust belt for nothing.

−7

Tommyblockhead20 t1_iyljfpb wrote

I mean, there are jobs. Sure, maybe there’s not as many, and if you have a very specific field you want it might not exist there, but many jobs do exist. The area I live in has been growing, various major companies have been moving in recently. And family literally moved to Toledo when I was a kid because that ended up being the best spot for my dads industry after all the jobs in California and Massachusetts kept falling through.

klydsp t1_iyldk97 wrote

And the museum, they have a righteous amount of art and artifacts

OpinionBearSF t1_iylnjg1 wrote

> Nice about the polar bears, but fuck Toledo. Only redeeming things about that shit hole is the zoo and art museum.

Plus it's Max Klinger's hometown! (The reluctant cross-dresser from MASH)

Marcaveli7 t1_iylsipa wrote

What happened to you in Toledo bro? Share the story.

dark_hole96 t1_iyltdtz wrote

I've lived in Toledo all my life, this man is sptting facts. As other commenters have also pointed out tho, our zoo and art museum are great. Also cheap housing because its a shithole

super1701 t1_iyly5xd wrote

Woah Woah, The walleye are great ok. Hockey games are always fun. But yeah toledo is not great.

stone111111 t1_iylw08w wrote

I've been to Toledo many times in my life.

If I wasn't just driving through, I went straight to the zoo and straight back home.

Best zoo.